• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on commercial tenancy agreement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on commercial tenancy agreement

I started trading in a shopping centre 5th October, my business is a food takeaway shop.
    On 5th November, the manager of the shopping centre said he has to 'close the shopping centre down', and the only shop that was staying open was the butchers, B&M and Fulton Foods.
    Even though I was legally allowed to stay open and continue trading, as my shop was strictly takeaway anyway, he said I was not allowed to open.
    This manager promised me a local council grant of £1,334 as I 'had' to stop trading, which would cover my losses.
    I asked him if I still had to pay rent, to which he replied 'yes' and the grant would cover this.
    I disagreed but didn't let him know my thoughts as it would be addressed at a later stage.
    Fast forward end of lockdown, surprise surprise I was rejected for the grant, because I was allowed to stay open, and there was no reason for me to shut.
    I had no income for one month, and am unable to continue trading in the shopping centre as I have absolutely no money to do so.
    I told the manager this and he says that this is fine, but he has to keep my £240 deposit as I am in 'arrears' as I didn't pay the rent for the duration of the lockdown period.
    It is also worth noting that he also said in his email 'if you would've said something sooner' he would have let me stayed open... He said I was not allowed to do so, and that the whole shopping centre was shutting down. Multiple times he said I was not allowed to open. Why must I argue?

I also recently discovered that throughout the duration of lockdown, the following shops in the same shopping centre were open:
    Sandwich shop
    Bakery
    Butchers
    B&M
    E-Cigarette store
    Phone accessories
    Printing shop
    Pet supply store
    Jewellers
    Shoe/watch repair

Even though he said to me that the whole shopping centre was shutting down for lockdown!! These people all paid there rent and were open. Yet still I was told to close and not trade, and I still owe rent?!

I need advice and help on writing an email to him with the above included which will lead to my deposit being returned, as I am struggling to find anything online, as we were in a licensee / licensor agreement.

Thanks in advance.

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X