• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it worth going to small claims court?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth going to small claims court?

Hi,

We had our bathrooms refurbished on 17th August 2020 - on the last day, the boss came asking for payment and said the job was finished they were just tidying up and he was off on holiday so could we settle up 1hr before finishing. As we had good working relationship, we agreed and paid. 10 minutes before leaving, the workers who were still here had a flood in the upstairs bathroom and said that it needed a part replacing and could they come back tomorrow with the part to finish. We agreed couldn't be helped and would see them tomorrow. Sat arrived and a call saying they were not coming as the part wasn't available for another week so would come the following Sat instead. At this point, the upstairs bathroom was leaking into the downstairs bathroom a questionable brown water that needed containers changing every 3-4 hours - this went on until they arrived the following Tues (10 days after the job 'finished') - this fix lasted 3 days before both toilets stopped flushing and we resorted to manually flushing. A lot of calls not answered and messages unresponded to, they came back to fix and lo and behold within 4 days it happened again - this was 19th Oct and since then they have not returned any of my calls or messages and have promised they will call me that day and then never do. It is now 14th Nov and we have been throwing water down toilets to flush. The bath has started coming away from the floor, sealant peeling around the sink area and a awful smell coming from the extractor fan.

I sent them a letter as advised by trading standards with the following 4 offers and explained I wanted a response within 7 days. The offers were:
    1. 25% of the monies paid refunded (£2150) plus ALL the issues rectified within a reasonable time frame and the doors and skirting installed as initially requested.
    2. 35% of the monies (£3010) paid refunded and ALL the issues rectified within a reasonable time frame.
    3. 70% of the monies refunded (£6020), we part ways and I find another company to fix the work.
    4. None of the above - (please note: immediate legal action for 100% of monies paid will be taken should you wish to take this offer)

The doors/skirting were extra jobs that had quoted separately but agreed to do before 17th Aug before cancelling and saying that would do it during the 2wks they were here and never did.

They came back to me today with a counter offer of £300 refund and they fix the work. I don't think this is enough - what are the chances of me getting one of my above offers is I pursue through small claims court?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X