• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello and Council Tax query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and Council Tax query

Hi everyone. New user here and hoping someone can help me with a Council Tax issue I'm now having. I receive a single occupancy discount of 25% since my wife moved away with work (100 miles away). She rents a city apartment and pays single occupancy council tax there. I'm self-employed and work from home. Between us we travel back and forth bi-weekly at weekends.. The plan was to sell our owned property (where I live) to buy a property nearer to where she is working. Of course COVID scuppered all of that and recently she has been back with me working from home due to the COVID situation, with the plan to return to her rented accomodation (for which she still has to pay all council tax, rent and bills) when the COVID situation subsides enough that staff are allowed back to work in the office.

I've just received a letter from the council stating that their checks by Transunion indicate that I may no longer be the only person living at my property. Well, truth be told I'm not but that's only a temporary measure due to COVID and I'm sure we can't be the only people who have formed our own bubble and been forced into this situation due to this virus. I'm actually quite surprised that the council are sending out letters like this in the middle of a pandemic. Anyway, I'd like some advice on where I stand with this. We don't know when the pandemic is likely to end and thus my wife doesn't know when she will be going back to the office. Under normal circumstances she wouldn't be here. If anyone can offer any information on how best to handle this it would be appreciated. My work has already taken a hit due to COVID and I begrudge losing my CT discount as well if it's also caused by this bloody virus. Thanks in advance of any reply.

Dave
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X