• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deposit not protected

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit not protected

I would like your opinions on something. When mum died of Coronavirus herein April, were 2 months left on the 12 month contract on her flat. 2 months notice was required anyway. I spoke to the landlord who offered condolences etc, but when I asked if we could make it the last month's payment given circumstances, he just ignored me. So even though it felt very off and in bad taste I paid the 2 months rent amounting to £1400. Now trying to get the deposit back, mums mobility scooter damaged part of the wall, which I admitted but he's trying to say she did more damage, even holes in the wall that were there before she moved in. He is trying to take half the £700 deposit even without accurate proof of the work on area of wall mums scooter damaged. He just got the whole place redecorated and cleaned the carpet professionally even though I had done this too a good standard. He said just pay half. But I'm not happy at his attitude and don't agree with some damage, that mum did not do. I discovered the deposit was not protected so I'm considering taking him to court over this. I am conflicted in whether I'm right or wrong. But I feel that is a good way considering he took 2 months rent from a dead lady and then even accused her of damaging things she did not! She is not here to defend herself. It's not about money but principle here. Am I right to make a claim in court? What are my chances of winning if a landlord hasn't protected a deposit dating to June 2016? Thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X