• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Business Licence - locks changed, does this terminate the contract?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Licence - locks changed, does this terminate the contract?

Hello,
    Alas, small business struggling to make payments.... It’s a well trodden subject at present, I’m sure.

We have a licence agreement for a small ‘suite’ (office) in a building. We owe the rent for the period 24th Feb to 23rd March. (We were late with previous payments but caught up in January - been a tough year, getting worse!)

On 24th March the landlord changed the locks which seemed rather aggressive considering we only owed one rental period at that point.

Since then they’ve added lock change charges and overdue fees, and also billed us for April and May rent.

The agreement isn’t particularly clear, it states 20 weeks’ notice if we wish to cancel or 12 weeks if the operator gives 1 week’s notice. It does not refer to lock changing or restricting access.

i can’t find anything useful (that my non-legal and not so bright brain can identify) to help me. Right now I’d rather end the lease and work from home/elsewhere.*

* can we cancel the contract and do we have to give 20 weeks notice/payment?
    * does a landlord lock change constitute termination?
    * can we forfeit deposit (2 months lease) in lieu of owed rent?
    * do we have any rights to gain entry and retrieve belongings?
    * do we still have to pay if we can no longer gain access

It’s hard to know where we stand, what we should pay and if/ what we are liable for.

Any advice and wisdom greatly (really really greatly!) appreciated*

Fee
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X