• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Subcontractor Agreements Changes, unfair?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subcontractor Agreements Changes, unfair?

Hi, I have been working as a translator/proofreader for a translation agency for 7 months. They asked me today to sign an updated Terms and Conditions agreement. I have refused to sign it and explained in a 3-page document that it is because one of its clauses is that if a poor translation is done, the translator should take on the entire financial responsibility, reimbursing the company for the lost payment and retranslation fees if the client refuses to pay. I earn about 20% or less of the money they receive for a translation (the company has extremely high profit margins), so having to play >100% would kill me for a month. Small errors can lead to a client refusing to pay and they can be caused just by human error. That is why with all professional translation, there absolutely must be a review by someone who didn't translate it, according to European translation standards. The company guarantees on their website that translations are proofread and revised twice after translations. I have evidence that this does not happen. Now I worry that refusing to sign it will lead to termination of working with them. Was it fair for me to refuse to sign this new contract? Is there anything I can do to stop them replacing me? I also worry for the other thousands of freelance translators in this company who may sign their bank account away with this agreement.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X