• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problem with a shared ownership leaseholder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with a shared ownership leaseholder

Hello, I have a problem and would be grateful for any advice. I live in a small block of flats and have a problem with my neighbour who lives in the flat immediately above mine. We are both shared ownership leaseholders with a 50% stake, the housing association who own the block have the other 50%.the leaseholder above has mental health issues and has been sectioned on at least 2 or 3 occasions. Over the past 8 years there have been issues with water leaking from her washing machine connector which flooded my kitchen, she won’t open her door and engage with anybody, and so I got the housing association to intervene. They had to get a court order to gain access and repair. After which there is further leaking due to her worktops not being water tight. Then the housing association gave up saying that they are not obliged to do any repairs internally for shared owners, only external issues. She also hurls objects from her window which crash onto the floor outside my window, items such as plates, glasses, clothes, cds, even a stereo, someone could be killed with these missiles. She also bangs on her walls and floor with a hammer randomly in the night, 4 to 6am, and wakes everyone from their sleep. On the last occasion just before Christmas she set fire to her flat, everyone had to evacuate the block, *she refused to come out or open the door. The fireman had to break her door down and she then attacked them with a hammer and knife.she was then sectioned for 2 months and we residents thought that we would not see her again, believing that the housing association would ensure she was put into support housing to receive 24 hour care on site. She is clearly not capable of living alone. Imagine our surprise when she walked back into the block last week. We residents had previously told the housing association that we felt unsafe with someone living here causing us all nuisance and anxiety, and we shouldn’t be residing in our homes fearing for our safety, wondering when would be the next time she caused a fire, with worse consequences. Us residents were given no notice or warning that she would be back. My question is can anyone advise what can be done to sort out this mess. What rights do we have to make the housing Association take action to get the said person put into support housing. They don’t seem to care for our safety, despite originally saying that was their main concern.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X