• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Disability Discrimination?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability Discrimination?

I began a part time role last July. Before starting the role I had to complete a medical questionnaire and then visit an Occupational Therapist because I had stated I had MS.
    Ever since starting in the role, my manager and HR are twisting everything to make it appear that I am struggling in my role because of my disability.

EG 1) In the first few weeks I asked if I could have a half hour unpaid lunch break for my 5 hour shift and 2 unpaid 10 minute nicotine breaks. At around the same time, I was called to a meeting with HR and my manager to ascertain any necessary adjustments because of my disability. I made it clear in this meeting that I did not need any adjustments because of my MS, but re-stated that as I was not allowed to eat at my desk, I would like a lunch break and 2 nicotine breaks. - The minutes of this meeting (and subsequent documentation) read as if these 'adjustments' were made to accommodate my disability.

EG 2) My manager then raised the issue of my MS in my first appraisal. She asked me if my MS was making me tired at the end of the day and causing me to make mistakes. I replied that it wasn't and simply that after 5 hours straight of data processing, I found it difficult to remain focussed because of the repetitive nature of the work. Nevertheless, in the write-up she still made reference to me being tired at the end of the day...

These are just 2 examples of how they keep referencing my disability when in fact I've never made an issue of it and only mentioned my MS when I began my role because I assumed they'd find out because of the Occupational Therapist's report.

I feel that it's becoming a real issue, because from day 1 my Line Manager made it clear that she didn't think I was the right person for the job (too experienced) and has been highly critical of me. More recent events have made it clear that they are now trying to build a case to dismiss me on the grounds of poor performance caused by my disability.

I really do feel it's unfair that they're constantly making reference to my MS when I've been going out of my way to downplay it and not make it an issue. I'm sure if I put in a complaint about it though, they would just say they were being caring and supportive and following 'procedure'.

Could this constant reference to my MS be grounds for discrimination?? My next appraisal is at the end of the month and I strongly suspect that my manager is going to report that I'm still under-performing and I'll be told that I haven't passed the probation period.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X