• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Commercial Lease complicated issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Lease complicated issue

Hi all

I have been renting a small shop from a Centenary Hall which operates under a Secretary and committee structure. There has been a new secretary appointed and we have fallen out verbally over some scaffolding that has been erected with little notice on my forecourt, at which point I found another place to go and gave (rightly or wrongly) 1 months notice the end of December.

Since then the secretary has been on to me stating stating I would owe the rental payments until the end of the lease 30th May 2020.

I wrote to committee asking for leniency asking for leniency because of the fact of the scaffolding. They came back with a letter to me offering 10% without prejudice, refusing expecting me to pay the lease until the end.

I am moving regardless as I am really riled by the whole situation, today I was packing and found the actual copy of the lease.

Crucially the lease I signed with the old secretary ended in 1st October 2019, this means I am currently not in any lease agreement despite her claims which I trusted in the absence of reading my lease copy.

The Secretary has been emailing me asking when she will be aid and what dates etc etc I feel I don’t owe her anything.

Before I saw the lease I actually thought that it ended in May but got confused with a piece of equipment that I leased. I talked to someone who has another shop and it seems he’s gone behind my back and said to the Secretary that my lease ended in May.

Why would she make this up I hear you ask? Because the place has been so badly run by different secretaries over the last 20 years that the lease and paper work is simply not there (it was simply a printed copy from the internet) - I am lucky I have a copy.

I want to leave and not have to pay any more money I am loathed at the moment to pay until end of May - I have not told the new Secretary of my finding the lease copy yet as I don’t want her to know the details as I think she’s lying about the lease in the first place.

WHAT TO DO?

I was considering getting a solicitor, as this is getting complicated, but I would be very greatful of any advise if you could help me?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X