• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Legally bankrupt but been contacted by business rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legally bankrupt but been contacted by business rates

Hi, I hope someone can help. I filed for bankruptcy in March 2019. My bankruptcy was filed due to rent owed to a shop where I was running my business from October 2009 and the business rates for that property.*To summarise, I had stopped trading and handed back keys in early 2017 and the landlord had verbally agreed but the landlord changed his mind a few months later. When business rates contacted him for rates , they were told I still owned the lease so rent was mine to pay . This carried on for over 2 years. Along this time I was in constant touch with the council where upon understanding my circumstances, the council agreed to close the case twice . Than upon being constantly harassed by the council I decided to file for bankruptcy in March 2019 as I just had no income or funds to pay anyone .Now today 22nd January 2020 I receive an email saying I need to pay full rates within 7 days or they will have the magistrate court issue summons as I have wilfully refused to pay rates and at the hearing can possibly be sent to prison for 3 months. I’m not working & am a stay at home mum now. I don’t have the funds to make any payment. The sole reason I filed for bankruptcy was because I was told upon doing so all this harassment would stop but now I just don’t know how to deal with this and am panicking. Really hope someone can help.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X