• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

File Retention by Solicitors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Retention by Solicitors

Recently I have tried to release some equity in my home and have become aware of a charging order held by the land registry. I was ill before and after the time the judgement was made (2006), which is the reason I was not aware of the charging order, and I am now trying to resolve this matter. I have managed to locate some letters and files but not all. The judgement was in favour of a firm of solicitors who were doing work on my behalf. They knew I had limited funds as the reason they were employed was that they were pursuing a large payment due to me. I was eventually unable to pay them and they wrote to me stating that they would not carry out any further work until the outstanding payment was made. I replied that I understand this and would try to pay them as soon as possible. I did not pay them as my ill health intervened and I had to fold my business. The judgement, it transpires, is for many times more than the ceiling which was set and when I was informed no further work would be done. I have a copy of my letter responding to the solicitors but not their letter and, as a result, I have asked them for some documents. The court order was provided to me but they say they don't have a copy of their letter as a result of the passage of time. My questions are: Should the solicitors have maintained this file? Why would they still have some documents (the court order) but not the letter they wrote to me? Is there anything I can do? Thank you for any assistance.*
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X