• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Service Maintenance Company Won't Fix Damages to My Flat - what are my rights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Maintenance Company Won't Fix Damages to My Flat - what are my rights?

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on what my rights are. I have had damage caused to my apartment which the maintenance company have admitted fault to and have said they will rectify the issue over 9 months ago yet now they will not answer my emails or calls.

On 9th December 2018 I noticed damp and mould on the walls, skirting boards and carpets in my bedroom. The carpet was also wet. It appears water was coming into my flat from either a) a pipe b) the flat upstairs or c) externally.

As I live in a block of flats managed by "First Port" I contacted their out of hours to attend to the issue. A contractor was sent out who had to fit an access panel to my wall to access the pipes. He also entered the flat above and downstairs and confirmed the following:

The way the ledge of my window (externally) sits on the brick work means that rainfall collects and seeps in to a hole between the brick work and my flat. So in essence there are two problems that they are required to fix: a) the ledge to be properly fitted with shaved brickwork so that rain water doesn’t collect and b) fill the hole.

Additionally, the internal damage to my flat will require repair as mentioned above. This includes, the walls, skirting boards and carpet as well as removing all mould that has grown during this time.

This was reported and lodged on the date above and the their out of hours contractor attended shortly after .

Around January 2019 time they asked that I get two quotes for the repairs to the damage which I promptly provided to them on the 7thJanuary 2019.

Around February 2019 time I was told that repairs would be made to remediate the external issue and that someone would be in touch to fix the problems internally.

It has now been over nine months and the company have not responded or provided updates. I have emailed, called and filed complaints with no avail. I am at a real loss and just wish for the internal damage to be rectified. Additionally, I have had health problems including a previously collapsed lung so it really hasn’t been safe for me to sleep in a room that has had mould and damp.

Would appreciate any advice as to what my rights are and what I can do.

To add, I have been paying service charge each month and they have just increased this by over £150 p/m which is outrageous considering they have not even sorted my issue.

Thanks
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X