• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Close Brothers Motor Finance Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close Brothers Motor Finance Problems

Hi All,

This is my first time posting a thread so please do bear with me.

Earlier this month, due to no longer requiring the use of my BMW (financed through CB), I gave notice of my voluntary termination both in a letter and email. This was acknowledged by the CB team and passed to Head Office for processing. I used the template hovering around somewhere on this site which has been kindly circulated by Rob. I have already paid way over the 50% mark and was told by a member of staff I could then cancel my DD - which I did - only to be told by someone at Head Office I shouldn't have as the vehicle is still in my possession.

Inspection

After a few telephone calls chasing them up on their promise of an inspection agent attending in 3 days of the VT notification, I finally had an appointment booked in for Monday. I was told that it would be a company called DMN Logistics Ltd. After researching them and finding out that they advertise how 'obsessive' they are about inspections, I started to worry. Not because there is anything wrong with my vehicle in the slightest, purely because I was aware of how these motor financing companies love to take your bank account for a ride after exaggerating damage repair costs. I was told that my appointment was Monday morning between 9am and 1pm. I work a full time job and I am in the process of moving house, so this large window already got me anxious. Fast forward to exactly 1pm and the agent turns up in a 2006 Vauxhall Estate (pretty beaten up), with no uniform on, earphones in and not being completely fluent in English. He advised he would take approximately 40 minutes to inspect the vehicle and asked for my keys, documents and V5 form. I gave these to him and off I went inside to carry on with my work.

A few issues arose after this. Firstly, he knocked on my door to advise my vehicle had no valid MOT. I had to explain to him the format of the date on the MOT certificate I had provided which had been completed a month prior (it is worth noting that the ONLY advisory on the MOT was 1/2 lights on the rear number plate panel being 'dull'). He then took me round the vehicle to show me what he had noticed. He pointed out minor scratches that had to catch the light right to be seen, an apparent dent the size of a small thumbnail (which I must admit I couldn't really see) and a couple of other tiny scuffs on the vehicle. I started getting nervous as I knew that he would be reporting these as 'damage' back to CB. I asked him if he would be happy to sign my documents stating the vehicle is in 'reasonable' condition as per the agreement (these are documents I drafted up as per the recommendations on another thread). He refused. I refused to sign his.

Fast forward 2 days and I receive an email from the account team with a copy of the report. £882. I am astonished. This car is 10 years old, and I have owned it since November 2016. I have never been involved in any type of incident and recently spent a couple of thousand repairing the brake calipers, catalytic converter, tyres etc. The report is also factually incorrect as follows:

1) Spare Wheel Missing (£125) - BMWs do not tend to have spare wheels as they use run flat tyres, thus eradicating the need for a spare.
    2) Missing Service Book (£255) - I was never provided a service book when buying the vehicle. I have also provided documents showing I have had it serviced.
    3) An apparent rear bumper scratch over 125mm (£0), but two apparent scratches less than 125mm on the front door (£114.80 + £97.30?!?!)
    4) No Tool Kit - it is in the boot.
    5) Internal Cleanliness Dirty - It was valeted prior to inspection.
    6) Previous Repair Visible on Front Bumper (£97.30) - Again I have never had the vehicle repaired cosmetically as there has never been a need to.

I have attached photos of both the report and the vehicle. I took the vehicle photos the day before the inspection.

Data Breach

Prior to being successful in getting my new job and company car, I enquired with CB as to whether they could send me a new copy of my agreement so that I could view my rights as a consumer. Well they sent me my agreement... BUT with the print out of another customer's email to them days before, outlining all of his personal information and current financial situation leading to the reason he has to cancel his agreement. I raised this with them in an email and also emailed the customer to let him know of their data breach. They never responded.

Query

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice for me here? I haven't actually been told I need to pay the £882 just yet, but I am expecting them to forward me an invoice. Do I have grounds to decline the damage charges as they are fair wear and tear? Should I go to the Information Commissioner's Office to report the data breach?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X