• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can we trust CCCS to defend us ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we trust CCCS to defend us ?

Article possibly biased against CCCS as written on myvesta's blog site, however I hold many similar concerns about CCCS. One of my main concerns about the free debt advice charities is the lack of support and advice when receiving court papers - very unusual for any response from CCCS other than just let it go through rubber stamp rubber stamp - in my experience anyway.

Am intending to look into these areas a bit more with some work being done by the Money Advice Trust on pushing towards a self help type regime and looking at where we, the free (unregulated) forums can fit into this to help people.

Originally posted by Steve Rhodes
    Is CCCS Defending Consumers Regarding Critical Financial Issues?

But first, since I was already thinking about CCCS, and I had that huge ride ahead of me, I contemplated the point, as the red barns went by, that was raised by Alan in a comment to an earlier article that I wrote, “Reward Offered for Payplan and CCCS in the UK”. Alan asked “Never mind the IVA debate. Where have CCCS been in the entire unlawful bank charges debate?” and that seemed to be a perfectly reasonable question and got me thinking. I did mention it was a long bus ride.
    Finally off the bus and back to an internet connection I did a quick search of Google showed that Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) has been all but silent over important issues in the past couple of years regarding unlawful bank charges and concerns about Payment Protection Insurance.
    What I was unable to find was any official statement, much of an interview quote or proactive outreach by CCCS regarding bank charges or PPI. I find this to be puzzling since with their strong media connections, press office and frequent press appearances they can easily champion consumer causes and speak out on behalf of consumers, with little to no effort.
    The bank charge situation in the UK isn’t a cutting edge or breaking news story. The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has had this matter under investigation for some time now and has issued public statements regarding the overcharging by banks of consumers on penalty bank charges. By now, even tens of thousands of consumers have taken their banks to court and won refunds for the recovery of bank charges.
    Recently the Office of Fair Trading issued a notice that they are taking the banks to court over this unfairness issue and hope to secure a ruling from the High Court, quickly. Of primary concern here is why has CCCS not stood up tall and proud for consumers that have had to pay these unfair and disallowed bank charges and why does it appear that they have not helped to educate the public about their right for a refund of these charges? Especially since consumers have been able to recover thousands of pounds back from their banks and these refunds would help to reduce the debt owed by consumers and clients of CCCS.

Several forum posts around the web did mention that CCCS staff members had agreed with the consumers attempt to reclaim these bank charges, but this appears to be a response from an individual counselor, rather than an organisation policy.
    In addition, CCCS has not made a loud public noise to help educate consumers about the refunding of Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) premiums or unlawful bank charges. Again, the Office of Fair Trading has taken a very clear view on the disadvantage that PPI places the consumer in and the OFT has gone as far as referring the PPI matter to the Competition Commission.
    Other sites, like that of Martin Lewis, have been very vocal and much more helpful in providing advice about the PPI and bank charge issues.
    Recently, issues surrounding the Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) have been getting attention since a group of creditors and a public company are attempting to orchestrate a policy which will in essence strike the IVA from access to the poorest and most disadvantaged members of the UK. Again, CCCS has been deadly silent over these issues also.
    The Concern Today: What does the CCCS silence on these issues mean, if anything?
    At a Money Advice Liaison Group (MALG) meeting in London last year I raised a concern about banks not treating consumers individually, sympathetically or fairly according to the Banking Code (see recent article about this subject). At the time I was very surprised that it was Jan Smith from CCCS that immediately leapt to the defense of the banks and proclaimed that not to be true and unfair.

I walked away from that meeting a bit perplexed about why, aside from a comment made in 2004, that CCCS would be the defender of banks and not agree with me on the consumer side that there was much work to be done in that arena.

Maybe it is all coincidence and I’m not quite sure what to make of it but it does appear that CCCS has been:
    1. extremely silent about the unlawfulness of excessive bank charges;
    2. quiet about the overcharging of consumers for Payment Protection Insurance;
    3. tight lipped about the banks ignoring key sections of the BBA Banking Code that can assist debtors; and
    4. absent in the public discussions over the IVA changes by the Insolvency Exchange that fundamentally restrict access of the poorest members of society from the IVA as a fair and reasonable solution.

A review of the CCCS Website media section also failed to show any current or past public outreach over any of these issues.

All of that leaves me wondering, why? What, if anything, does this mean?
    Does CCCS Have a Charitable Consumer Voice or Have They Been Muted by Funding?
    As the CCCS Website states “CCCS is funded and supported entirely by the credit industry. It is this totally unique mechanism that allows CCCS to provide its services totally free to consumers.” They are paid a “fairshare” commission based on the money they collect from consumers and return to the banks, for their benefit. Lenders are happy to pay the charity in this way, Mr Bell says. "The creditors trust us and incorporate us into their operations - and no lender can chase debts owed to them for less than the amount they pay to the CCCS."

And while CCCS states they are a free service, we must ask, at what price to consumers? At what benefit to banks?
    It would be an absolute tragedy if the strong funding ties with the banks and credit card companies that fund CCCS and allow them to provide services at no charge to the public actually control the registered charity to the point that it prevents them or makes them hesitate from speaking out to defend consumers regarding critical financial issues when the banks that provide their funding have been the bad actors.
    A point raised in the CCCS Wikipedia discussion seems to sum it up best, “Recent UK Charities Commission research of charities that deliver public service programmes found that only 26% of charities delivering public services feel they are free to make decisions without pressure to conform to their funders’ wishes.” That means that 74% of funded charities do not speak out against their funders’ wishes. Is that what has happened to our dear friends at CCCS?
    The CCCS mission according to the Charities Commission Website is, the relief of poverty amongst persons in the United Kingdom by: (1) The provision of advice to assist such persons to reschedule and refinance their borrowings, (2) Training such persons to manage their finances more effectively by the mounting of training courses in such management, (3) Establishment of counselling centre’s to which persons may resort for advice on debt matters generally, (4) Establishment of an insolvency practice to which such persons may resort as an alternative solution to debt problems.

And while their stated mission does not specifically say they should defend the public or provide warnings and guidance regarding financial situations which impact a large number of consumers, I think it might be assumed by many that a registered charity should serve a benevolent purpose or one of public benefit and if anything, error on the side of the consumer, rather than big commercial banks.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X