• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Give me cash any time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me cash any time

Reports of the death of notes and coins have been greatly exaggerated – and thank goodness, says Jim Griffin
    We're often led to believe that cash is close to extinction. But reports today suggest notes and coins are still our preferred method of payment on the high street. According to the British Retail Consortium (BRC), around 56% of all transactions were paid for using cash last year. And it is easy to see why.
    I'm an avowed user of notes and coins over card payments – I once spent a week living without cash, making only plastic payments. I found it restrictive and, on reflection, expensive. It was difficult to keep track of everything I bought – cards make you feel less like you are actually spending money – which I think accounts for the enduring popularity of cash, especially in the current economic climate.
    People are reining in their spending, which means they need to know exactly where their money is going. Cash is the best way to do this – you withdraw it and spend it, handing over notes for each transaction; card payments somehow take this intimacy away and you can lose track of your spending as your wallet succumbs to a stash of receipts.
    But this doesn't stop the banks trying to foist cash-free payment methods on to us – the Barclaycard/Oyster tie-up being a prime example. They market it as convenient for the consumer – your travelcard and credit card with "contactless payment" feature for purchases under £10, all on one device. It sounds great, but it distances your spending and gives instant access to your credit card account without the need to type in a Pin. In short it opens up a world of spending on credit.
    These methods also cost retailers more to process – transactions paid for in cash cost an average of 2p each to process compared with 8p for a debit card payment and 35p for a credit card one, according to the BRC. And the charges for these transactions go where? To the banks. The same banks trying to repair their severely reduced books. No wonder they are so keen to get us to embrace electronic payment methods.
    But it will take a lot to persuade me that cash is no longer king. What about you? Do you struggle to budget when using debit and credit card payments, or have you been persuaded that plastic is the future and coins and notes should be phased out?

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2009 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

More...

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X