• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Property expert: Help! My mortgage income support has been reduced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property expert: Help! My mortgage income support has been reduced

Q I was on benefits, receiving a small amount of income support (£14 a week) and help with interest on my mortgage of approximately £280 a month. Now that the Bank of England base rate has fallen I am told by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that because of this my income support will reduce to 10p a week and (more importantly) my mortgage assistance will drop to only £15. I can now no longer afford my mortgage repayments and am faced with the prospect of getting into arrears or selling my house and having the council pay out a ridiculous amount in rent for my children and myself. Is it right that the reduction in interest rates should make us so much worse off when I thought it was supposed to help the economy, or is it only designed to help the better off? DE

A I suspect that what is not right is what you have been told by the person at the DWP. It is true the standard rate of interest used to calculate how much mortgage interest support you get is normally linked to the base rate and goes up and down in line with any changes, and normally it is the base rate plus 1.58%, so according to the legislation in place since 2004 the standard rate should now be 3.58%. But it is not because in December 2008 the standard rate was frozen for six months at 6.08%. This has specifically been done to protect people, such as those with fixed-rate deals, whose mortgage payments may not have dropped in line with the base rate and who would suffer if their mortgage interest support were to fall.

Yvette Cooper, chief secretary to the Treasury, confirmed this freeze in the House of Commons on 18 December. The earliest the standard rate of 6.08% will change is May 2009 when the government intends to review the arrangements for calculating mortgage interest support.

I suggest you go back to the DWP and get them to double-check how much support you are entitled to given that it shouldn't have gone down in line with the interest rate at all.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2009 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

More...

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X