• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

late fathers estate, step brother involved

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: late fathers estate, step brother involved

Been reading with interest just to keep the funds separate why don't you look into a pre-paid card account that you could set up online. Since bankruptcy I have been using a cashplus gold card and account. The fees have been respectable and you can transfer funds easily and the requirements to set one up are smaller. Other cards are available but I have had no problems with mine.

Comment

if this goes to court in the end and he then produces a will. what sort of costs could i incur? as im assuming he could claim his costs from me? including maybe solicitors costs.

Comment

Please explain why he would conceal a will which would name him as beneficiary.
        Stop worrying

Comment

he might for one of 3 reasons.

1) hes an idiot and didn't want to pay solicitors to sort the probate.
          2) hes hiding assets from his ex wife.
          3) hes potentially got creditors or HMRC to pay.

Comment

Well if he does suddenly produce a will like a rabbit out of a hat he will look rather stupid in court when asked why he did not produce the will firstly on the death of your father, then secondly when you inquired about it, and then thirdly when you start possession proceedings he should declare it at the beginning of the process when there will only be minimum costs
            which I cannot see him being able to claim from you.
            And he would have to get a grant of probate if he was named as executor, and he would have to settle the estate according to the terms of this possible will......................
            Stop worrying about imagined problems and start the ball rolling

Comment

I see your getting almost identical advice from your friendly barristers

Comment

whats with the bones on the profiles?

Comment

Post here about the bones http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...he-bones-mean-!!
                  #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

doesn't anyone on here sleep. ive got an excuse to be an insomniac .

Comment

Your letter's fine IMO.
                      Good to see you're moving on it.
                      Now you've got momentum keep it rolling, and cease worrying about what might or might not happen.

Sleep............ what's that?

Comment

hes replied.
                        hes said he sent me a letter before with a copy of the will.
                        hes now sent a copy of this letter and the will, none of the letters are signed by him. the will leaves everything to my step brother. hes obviously not to happy about the situation. what do i do now?

Comment

Sorry for late response, but I've been out all day.
                          If the will is genuine he will have to apply for your letters of administration to be set aside, because as things you have LOA and are beneficia & legal owner.
                          Do you think the will is authentic?
                          Cannot understand why he should not have obtained a grant of probate, unless he was trying to avoid tax.

Comment

I suspect there was a certain amount of arm twisting from his late wife, but anyway how do i get myself untangled from this mess and make sure his will is above board? what supprised me was the fact my Dad even put the step brothers girlfriend as a last resort.

i thought about writing him a letter telling him to do the probate asap and sort the land registry. will i need to be careful how i word it?

one thought, does he need to pay tax? or his ex wife?
                            as he had his mums place effectively via the strange transactions. plus i strongly suspect he had the £28,000 and £25,000 cash my Dad took from his late wifes accounts after her death.

Comment

I would do nothing at the moment.
                              The house is in your name. You have LOA. It is for him to have them changed.
                              You have only seen a copy of the will...... do you know if it is genuine or just some hashed up copy?

See what he does, if anything, to correct the situation

Comment

also SB states in the letter with the copy of the will and copy of the first letter he apparently sent me that, amognst other expressions of shock:

i will obviously not vacate my home and if need be will start to go down the legal route which will incur costs which i will claim from you and at the end of the day will only result in grief for both of us and costly legal bills as the will is plain in saying what **** wishes were.

now i dont have money to start playing solicitor games. is it best i leave him to stew for a few weeks to see if he does probate? or could he in the absence of a reply think he needs to get a solicitor involved, who will probably have a field day with this, assuming the will is genuine.
                                basically what the potential repercussions of sitting back and doing nothing? also what could he potentially do on a less than legal basis regarding securing any debts etc to the property as its now in my name?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X