• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

late fathers estate, step brother involved

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: late fathers estate, step brother involved

When you complete the proposal form there will be a question asking if the house is occupied solely by your family.
    Tick the "no" box and in the space provided explain it is currently occupied by your step brother.
    You should probably also explain that you are in process of taking possession.
    But as you have a hostile tenant it will be problematic finding an insurer, so as Mike suggests, find a good broker who knows the market.

Now start regaining possession of your house.

Comment

my worry is I wont be able to get insurance and end up owning a plot of land. with him laughing at me all the way to the open prison, assuming of course they even bother investigating it properly.

I phoned the PSD today and was told I will probably get a reply by the end of the week.

Comment

You own it, and it is registered in your name.
        If he is removed by the police you will be able to take possession.
        You can use the civil law to obtain possession.
        Are you concerned he may torch it? If he does it won't be an open prison.

Don't worry about things you can't control ... . therein lies madness (or at least bitten finger nails).
        If you can't obtain insurance, so be it.
        Have concerns only about what you can influence.

Comment

torch it crap on the carpets rip the kitchen out. who knows what someone who thought they had a free house might do when faced with losing it?

Comment

don't forget im dealing with someone who drive without any insurance tax or mot.

Comment

Originally posted by adamk View Post
              don't forget im dealing with someone who drive without any insurance tax or mot.
              Have you made the police aware that vehicle registration no ******** is regularly being driven in that condition?
              I'm surprised with the current regulations re SORN/continuous insurance etc thathe hasn't been picked up already, if what you state is correct.

Any way there is not much you can do about that or his possible future actions in your property.
              Concentrate on what you can control, not what might happen.

Comment

ok Barclays have sent me a copy of the type of form he signed. only took 2 weeks. anyway how do I go about claiming off them?

Comment

On the assumption that any requests you made to the bank were verbal, you now need to get it all in writing, so the first stage is a formal letter asking for the funds.
                  You will need to write to the bank (and similar to the life insurance company) along these lines:

Dear Sirs
                  Re: *************** deceased
                  Address: *********************
                  Date of death: DD Month YYYY
                  Account/reference number: **************

Further to our previous correspondence you are aware I am in possession of letters of Administration for the captioned deceased's estate.
                  Accordingly please forward any monies due to theestate.
                  The payment should be made by cheque, payable to Estate of ******** and posted to the above address.
                  If applicable, please provide a closing statement with:
                  i) A list of transactions of the account showing both the date of death and date of closurebalances
                  ii) All transactions in-between these dates
                  iii) Appropriate tax deduction certificates
                  Yours faithfully

Enclosure: i). Death certificate
                  ii)Letter of administration

Only send enclosures if the bank haven't already seen them.
                  If you are sending the documents I would actually deliver letter to a local branch and ask them to take copies for their own use.

Comment

the local branch have had all the relavent docs, and passed copies.

Comment

So just write asking for the assets of the estate to be delivered by 07 April 2015.

Comment

does the account have to be in the estate of format? as I will have to open one. as im the only next of kin I thought it could go into my account then I can put it in a savings account temporarily to keep it separate.

Comment

Best keep everything separate so that nothing can be questioned. Open a savings account.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                            Best keep everything separate so that nothing can be questioned. Open a savings account.
                            so how would I go about setting it up?

do I open an account in the name of "estate of "? how do I go about then using this account, as its not in my name?

Comment

Open accout in name of "estate of XYZ deceased" with you as signatory.
                              Bank might suggest something different.
                              The main point is to keep it completely separate from your money. (I know it is your money but until the dust has settled you need to be able to account accurately in detail if any questions arise)

Comment

gave up trying to open an account. wasted my hours lunch traipsing around packed banks. doesn't anyone use the internet? most of them wanted me to make an appointment, one was next thurs or fri. my buildo wont even do them.

ill just get it all paid into my current account and then ill move the same amount into a separate savings account.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X