• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caveat, warning and property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caveat, warning and property

Hi, I wonder if anyone can share similar experience. We are buying a probate property. Unfortunately the day our offer was accepted a half sibling lodged a caveat, it seems there is no real reason other than he had a falling out with the brother a couple of years ago over a cash gift from the parent when the other parent died so his real issue is how the state is divided). The caveator told the executors he would remove the caveat, he hasn't. They have therefore issued a warning. We are trying to get clarity on when it was actually issued as it's over 14 days since they told us they were doing it. If the caveator does not enter an appearance I understand the caveat will be removed and we can move forward with the sale. Anyone know how long that takes and what the steps are? Unfortunately even the executors are slow to do anything or respond.
    Tags: None

Can you please clarify. Is it the case that you are seeking to buy from executors who are presently in the midst of a dispute that is holding up their ability to sell?

If so, you may be waiting a very long time, and in that time property values may change to the extent that the executors will be failing in their duties not to seek a higher price.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      Can you please clarify. Is it the case that you are seeking to buy from executors who are presently in the midst of a dispute that is holding up their ability to sell?

If so, you may be waiting a very long time, and in that time property values may change to the extent that the executors will be failing in their duties not to seek a higher price.
      Yes we are buying from the named executors who currently can't proceed due to the caveat. If it's not resolved quickly we will be withdrawing anyway as our buyers are ready to go. It's already been ongoing for a few months. That's why I am asking, once the 14 days are up is it quick to then get the grant or are we talking months? (they had an ETA for the grant of end of Feb in the middle of feb just before the caveat was issued).

Comment

Grants of Probate are currently taking 16 weeks if applied for online, as much as 9 months otherwise.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          Grants of Probate are currently taking 16 weeks if applied for online, as much as 9 months otherwise.
          They had been waiting about 14 weeks when the caveat was lodged. From what I've read once the caveat is lifted probate will pick up where it left off. My questions is once the warning time is up no appearance made, how long does it take for the caveat to be removed?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X