• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Inheritance Act Claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance Act Claim

Hi all,

I inherited a property from my late grandfather which me and my family are currently living in.

We currently have a solicitor who has been helping us deal with an inheritance act claim made against me from my mother. He has informed us that the deadline for service of the Claim Form is fast approaching so need to act quickly.

My problem is we have no more money to continue to fund the solicitor and have come to the conclusion that our only option is to try and make the claimant an offer.

The only money available is in the property, am I allowed to see if I can get a loan/mortgage against the property to make such an offer ?

Thanks

Tags: None

Hi
    This thread is a continuation of the thread started last December

In the first thread you didn't answer the question about the date of probate.

You stated the deadline for the claim under the Inheritance Act is fast approaching. I take it probate was obtained nearly 6 months ago?

As executors the claim will be against you and your brother. What did your brother inherit?

You will not be able to take out a mortgage on the house until it is officially transferred to you. Has your name as sole owner been added to the deeds. If not why hasn't it been done.

Settling any claim prior to court action should avoid expensive legal costs which can quickly mount up in an Inheritance Act claim

You should try to discover how much your mother intends to claim and then find out what could be an amicable settlement figure. Then see if you can take out a mortgage to cover the sum and meet repayments

Comment

Hi,

Probate was granted in June 2023 and a letter of claim was put in just before December to cover the 6 months deadline.

My brother was left some jewellery.

I had a copy of the land registry form sent to me by the solicitor in February but this was sent back because my name was spelt incorrectly (fault on the land registry side)

This is also an issue as we have no idea on what she actually wants.

Thank you for replying

Comment

The answer to the question in post 1 is "yes".
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

If I cannot do the above, have no funds to fund a solicitor or to mediate what happens next would we be took to court?

What would the costs be looking at with going to court without any legal support ?

Thank you

Comment

Yes, court would be a likely next step for a claimant who wishes to pursue a claim. But you do not need to have legal representation in mediation.

If you represent yourselves, your legal cost would be minimal. Bear in mind, however, the risk that you may be ordered to pay the other party's legal costs should you lose the case.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X