• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

IHT205 - Please can anyone help with a few sections I am unsure about please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IHT205 - Please can anyone help with a few sections I am unsure about please?

Hi all

Thanks for having me on the forum

My mum sadly passed away in March and I am helping my dad save money by applying for probate. It's the first time I've done it. I've read through the IHT206 Notes and have got my head round most of it, but there's a few bit I remain unclear on and I wondered if anyone could lend a hand please?

1. "Assets passing to a spouse..." I thought I was clear on this, but then I noticed in the notes that is says (p.6.): “Where assets pass to the deceased's spouse or civil partner, both the deceased and their spouse or civil partner must have been domiciled (had their permanent home) in the UK throughout their lives.” They have both been in the UK since the 1960s and married in the UK in the 1970s, but both were born and bred in Italy. What are the implications of this?

2. My mum had a small savings account in her name only (around £2,000). Her Will states this (and other parts of the residual estate) are to pass to my dad. In fact, the bank have already closed the account and transferred the funds to my dad, and as such I thought this wold go into Section 9 as no probate is needed to access funds. That's what the helpline said too. But then p.19 of the notes says: "Section 11 - These are the assets which are included in the value of the estate for the grant of probate...even if you do not need to produce a copy of the grant to get access to these assets.”. So now I'm not so sure which section to put it in...?

3. 11.2. My mum did not have any valuable or anything. Obviously there will be normal household items like irons, clothes, etc. What do I need to declare here?

4. 11.11. I really can't think of anything, especially as my dad still lives in the house. But do I need to check EVERYTHING to be certain, or is it ok to put nil here?

5. Section 14 of the form. I'm a bit confused by what needs to go in here, so any pointer would be great.

6. If I complete the IHT form on line (rather than the paper IHT205), do i receive a copy of the completed form?

Sorry for the long thread! And thanks in advance to anyone who reads it or is able to offer assistance.

Ta
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X