• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Barrister family member stealing inheritance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrister family member stealing inheritance

To (try) and cut a long story short my grandfather passed away October 2009. He left a will in which he allocated that one third of his property be shared between myself and my brother. This was seen by my mother prior to my Grandads death. There was talk, prior to my grandfathers passing that my uncle was to put his property in his name as to avoid nursing home fees. Whether this actually happened or not - I don’t know.
    I do know that now, however, he is the sole owner of the property and has been since he obtained it in 2009 when my Grandad died.
    There was also cash to the sun of about £3k in his bank account that went also.

I contacted the Solicitors where the will was left and they informed me it had been taken by my uncle - who is a barrister, and there were no further copies. That it is up to him to provide it.
    I contacted him that year asking what was happening with the will. He fobbed me off.
    Frustrated, I told him I would take it further but sadly I was in no position financially to do so, and he knew this.

I have since tried to obtain a copy of the will online and it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. I suspect if he put the property in his name that probate is not applicable.

I have still not seen a copy (which I know I’m entitled to see).
    I have recently written to my uncle to ask him again and I am not expecting him to respond.
    He has wangled it so he’s ended up with everything whilst keeping the will close to his chest.

Also, as he is in this professional field and I am adamant he has been able to go ‘under ground’ with the whole situation and has come out of it with everything, being at an advantage of knowing how to work the system and cover up his wrongdoings.

I know that this is not what my poor Grandfather would have wanted.
    In the last months of his life my mum and I cared for him and his son, my uncle, had ‘washed his hands’ of his father, even burning some of my his possessions when he was near the end of his life.

Ironically I have read online some reports where my uncle is on a prosecuting team fighting will and probate cases. One of his professional areas...

I feel he is utterly flaunting his position in law and feel there is a lot of foul play here.

I do not know who else to turn to.

I have written to the legal ombudsman and the Bar standards. They are yet to respond.. they can take a few weeks apparently.

Thank you for reading.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X