• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

SCAM ON EBAY : 2010 Ford Transit T350 LWB Double Cab Tipper 100ps TRUCK FRAUD 09-NOV-

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCAM ON EBAY : 2010 Ford Transit T350 LWB Double Cab Tipper 100ps TRUCK FRAUD 09-NOV-

PLEASE BE #SCAMAWARE - READ THIS -->

How do you find out if an eBay listing is a scam or not?

Here's one that's a little harder than usual, but it took me about 1 minute to prove it to be fraudulent

First, here's a screenie of it:-

There's only one thing that caught my eye - the price. I'm no expert on this kind of vehicle, but it seemed a bit cheap, so I thought I'd dig around to see if I could find some history on it - specifically a previous listing somewhere of the same vehicle.

Here's the other half of the listing:-

Not very helpful ! Just two words. And you can be sure - there's a good reason for there being only two words. It's to try and make life difficult for people like me!

Remember, the aim isn't to just form an opinion - anyone can say "it's cheap - must be a scam" - no, the aim is to provide what might be called online forensic evidence.

Having nothing else to go on, I did an STS (Specific Text Search) using the title

Here's the result :-

You might think I groaned when I learned that there were nearly half-a-million results. Somewhere in there, there might be a copy of this listing - but equally, there might not.

I'm certainly not going to sift through 487,000 results looking for something that might not even be there.

So to whittle that huge number down to something more manageable, I added two words to the search. And this is what happened:-

Add caption

Hey Presto! Suddenly, within a few seconds, the results total is a mere SIX. And above you will see the first three, all of which are matches - a 2010 Ford Transit Tipper. The one in the middle is the "suspect listing" that prompted the search in the first place. And the one at the top isn't the right truck - the registration numbers don't match.

But No.3 is the one that provides me with the answer I was looking for.

Opening up No.3, this is what we get :-

LINKY

Now, the first and most obvious thing to see is that the picture of the truck is the same. So this is of course another listing of the same vehicle (from 5th November 2014, in fact, less than a week earlier).

A moment later it will be seen that the description is the same too - "Great tipper!!" So it's fair to assume that the same person wrote these words in both listings.

But there are some crucial DIFFERENCES.

The first thing is that the SELLER IDs are not the same. In the "suspicious listing" up top, the seller ispaulwd939(161 ). But the seller of the identical vehicle 5 days earlier has a different name :fenitonfudge(7 ).

In addition to that, the LOCATION is different between the two. Whilepaulwd939 is located in Brandon in Suffolk, the other sellerfenitonfudge is located in Taunton, Somerset.

It all points to two scams - one alive, one dead - using two different hacked eBay accounts, carried out by the same person or group of people. The prices are the same - £3900 - and that's just too cheap.

So now, all I need to do is to report the scam at the top for fraud, as it's the 'live' listing.

It is very evidently a scam. You have seen the evidence here - and how it was obtained

Posted by cyber-criminals on10-Nov-14 at 00:29

Reported by Buster Jack on 10-Nov-14 at 03:14

Total eBay Vehicle Scams for November 2014 : 0178

Total to date since April 2013 : 13,460

If you have found this post it is likely you have been looking at an advert to purchase an item like this. Please check the link for the listing number as although this SPECIFIC LISTING has been reported as a potential scam others may be genuine.

If you have found this post and it has helped prevent you becoming a victim of a scam or has even made you investigate further when researching potential purchases online - please register on the site and let us know.

If in any doubt please READ THIS THREAD and post in the main Scams / Fraud forum.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X