• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Fraud Waning Tescos ATMs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraud Waning Tescos ATMs

A friend went to check her wages had gone into her bank,she discovered that around £500 was missing from her balance, their were 6 transactions made in China,
    The last time she had used an ATM was at a Tesco store, after making enquiries it seems there had been several similiar cases all at Tescos ATMs,the bank refunded her money,and said cards had been cloned with a card reader
    Tags: None

Re: Fraud Waning Tescos ATMs

Funny they always seem to go for the super store ATM's, they do our local Asda ATM once every six months or so and still Asda or the three banks (Natwest, TSB and Barclays) haven't installed CCTV camera's over the ATMs.
    I always check an ATM for card readers before I put my card in one, haven't a clue what I'm looking for and I do on occasions get funny looks from folk stood behind me but I'd rather have funny looks from the public than have my account drained 'not that I have much in it anyway'

Comment

As normal when a question is asked, us at LB like to find you the answers.

What is an ATM card skimmer?

An ATM skimmer is a device that is placed over the slot where you’d insert your card into an existing bank machine (and, in some cases, other card readers like the ones at self-serve gas stations).
      They’re designed to look exactly like the real machine they’re covering, and sometimes they’re even more detailed than the actual machine so that the extra bits of plastic and metal can disguise more pieces of the skimmer.
      How ATM Skimmers Work

When you insert your debit or credit card into a cash machine, there’s a reader on the inside of the machine that interprets the information on your card’s magnetic strip and that, coupled with the PIN you type into the keypad, gives you access to the money in your bank accounts.
      If you put your card into a bank machine that has a skimmer device on it, the ATM isn’t the only thing reading your card information – the skimmer also has a reader in it that records the information on your card’s magnetic strip. Without your PIN, however, even the information on the magnetic strip wouldn’t be enough for a thief to get at your account – which is why the second element of an ATM skimmer is a tiny pinhole somewhere over the keypad that hides a mini-camera. As soon as you insert your card into an ATM with a skimmer device, the camera is activated and it records your movements – and, therefore, your PIN.
      Because ATM skimmers are placed over existing card slots on real and legitimate cash machines, you’re still able to go through your transaction as if nothing has happened. Or, in some cases, the screen will tell you there’s been a malfunction – but it will look like a normal error message from the bank. It’s only later that the information the skimmer gathered will be used to access your account.
      How to Spot ATM Card Skimmers

As mentioned, these thieves are clever – the skimmers they design take smarts and skill (which once again makes me wish they’d use their powers for good instead of evil, because who knows what problems they could solve?). It’s easy to mistake a bank machine that’s been tampered with for a perfectly safe place to withdraw money.
      There are so many different kinds of bank machines that no one skimmer design works for all of them – which means there are many different kinds of skimmers, too. Some of them are, frankly, easier to spot than others. But here are some photos of an ATM skimmer discovered in California in late 2009.

How the skimmer fits over the top of the real card slot

Pinhole for camera on the device
      For some examples of other kinds of ATM skimmers, see this article on Krebs on Security, and this article on The Consumerist.
      How to Protect Yourself from ATM Skimmers

The first thing to make sure of when you’re using an ATM – whether it’s the cash machine you use often at home or an unfamiliar machine you’re using while traveling – is that you’re paying closer attention than most people usually do to the machine itself. Does it look like there’s a piece of metal or plastic around the card reader that could easily come off if you pulled on it? Is there a pinhole in a piece of equipment right above the keypad?
      While security experts say things like, “Most skimmers, key pad overlays, and cameras will be recognizable to the typical ATM user,” that’s not always true for travelers who are using bank machines that look different from the ones back home. This means that although you should still take an extra few seconds to look at the bank machine you’re thinking of using before you insert your card, the skimmer modifications may not be as obvious to you – making the other tips below even more important.
      Whether or not you’re using a bank machine that’s familiar to you, it’s never a bad idea to somehow cover your hand as you’re typing your PIN into the keypad. As mentioned, it’s the combination of the information on your card’s magnetic strip and the PIN the camera records that gives the theives complete access to your bank account, so without your PIN they’ll have a much bigger hurdle to climb over to get at your money. (And, frankly, if someone else isn’t taking the precaution of obscuring their PIN, that target is much more tempting because it requires less work.)
      Using cash machines in very public areas can be a good way to avoid machines that are targets for skimmers in the first place, as they offer less opportunity for thieves to install and later remove the skimmers without being seen. In some countries, bank machines can be found inside grocery or convenience stores, and sometimes there are bank machines inside the banks to which they’re attached. When in doubt, these machines are a better bet simply because there’s always someone “watching” them.
      Finally, even when you’re traveling it’s a good idea to check in with your bank account online every so often if you can. Since foreign transaction fees are so high these days, you’d be smart to withdraw money as few times as possible – withdrawing larger sums each time and stowing the excess cash in a money belt (you do have a money belt, right?). So a day or so after each transaction, if you can log into your account online to find out if anything other than your withdrawals are showing up, it may give you enough of a heads-up to stop any further theft.
      And in any situation, if you have one of those “funny feelings” about a bank machine, don’t put your card in it – find another machine and use it instead.

Skimming

The most common cash machine crime is skimming. A device fitted to the cash machine records your details. Your PIN is captured by a small overhead camera.
      The offenders can then put your card details onto another card and use it in any cash machine to withdraw money from your account.
      The skimming equipment is expensive and offenders, who are always nearby, have been known to attack members of the public (and police officers) who attampt to remove the devices.
      Reduce the risk:
      • make sure no one can see you typing your PIN (cover your hand as you enter your number)
      • if you think a cash machine has been tampered with don't use the machine, contact the police andnever attempt to remove the device yourself as you may be at risk of attack

Card entrapment

Also known as a 'Lebanese loop', this device will appear to swallow your card. Often the offender will play the part of the good Samaritan and suggest that if you enter your PIN and press certain buttons the card will be returned. The advice won't work, but you may inadvertently reveal your PIN.
      Once you leave the cash machine, the offender will remove your card which will then be used to withdraw money.
      Reduce the risk:
      • when using a cash machine make sure it doesn't look as if it has been tampered with
      • If the machine takes your card, contact your card issuer immediately
      • make sure no one can see you typing your PIN - cover your hand as you enter the details

Distraction

To carry out this type of crime the offenders work in small teams. They will arrange to distract you while you are using the cash machine - they might do this by dropping something or spilling a drink on you. Once distracted an accomplice will either steal your card, cash or skim your card.
      Reduce the risk:
      • make sure nobody can see you typing your PIN - cover your hand as you enter your number
      • if someone attempts to distract you, secure your card and cash before dealing with them

Never attempt to remove a device from a cash machine that has been tampered with - you may put yourself at risk of attack.

Report fraud and get advice

You can get more advice and report suspected fraud to Action Fraud UK:

Comment

Had a call from this no,yesterday, didnt recognize it so checked online,it is a scam by someone claiming to be from Barclays, so warned my daughter,
        Unfortunately she had already been called, the person said can you verify the rest of your pin no,we have the first part,
        Foolishly she did, now £200 has gone from her account
        The person said you have had money taken from your account in Hemel Hempstead, over £300 which is why we are ringing you
        I cant believe she gave them her pin
        She has gone to the bank now as she thought it was a genuine call from the fraud section of the bank,
        She had only just had her wage paid in,and used a Halifax cashpoint
        Just waiting to hear from her
        There was no trace of a transaction in HH
        It is terrible,happening all over,she always puts her hand over the pin pad, but could have been someone stood behind her

Comment

Right just heard friom my daughter, the no that rang her was the actual fraud office, but the no that rang me wasnt, apparently someone has taken £74 out of her account, but there have been about 10 other attempts, luckily she had no money in until yesterday, but Barclays had noticed unusual amounts being applied for,but all the others were declined
          Barclays have refunded her the £74 but cant do anything about the £200 until monday
          Sorry, cant get bold print off again
          The £74 had been used in a cafe in Dublin,and the larger amounts were for Thorpe park

Comment

We have an ATM at little Tesco Express along the road and it's forever getting cloned My brother was on holiday in Spain and when he got home the bank had been trying to get hold of him urgently as his debit card had been cloned and attempted use in Guataemala!! Luckily it rang alarm bells at bank and they refused the transactions.

Inca

Comment

PLEASE REMEMBER!!

The official advice is:
              Never attempt to remove a device from a cash machine that has been tampered with - you may put yourself at risk of attack.

Report fraud and get advice

You can get more advice and report suspected fraud to Action Fraud UK:

If in doubt AT ALL, tell the security staff at the store, I did this the other day in a Morrisons. They will not judge you or think you are being stupid.
              I'm sure BB will agree that the police would rather 50 well intentioned false alarms then someone walking past and someone getting robbed.

Comment

and for years the banks were saying that ATM fraud was impossible.
                even when they were stating chip and pin in that the customer must have given the card and pin out

ATM machines do not use the bank chip card, they are only used at PDQ machine terminals in the shop.
                an ATM machine only reads the magnetic strip, not the chip on the card

Comment

These frauds are now so widespread, it is best to avoid external ATM's, and those at supermarkets in particular. Unless caught short, the only ones I use are actually inside banks.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X