• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Car accident dispute over replacing headlight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Car accident dispute over replacing headlight

Hi everyone,
    I’m new on this forum and I need some help and would love to hear your thoughts/advice.

Last February I pulled in too close with my van to a Mercedes Benz and I caused a 5 cm long hairline crack in the headlight. It seemed like a scratch and a mechanic who was there when it happened advised to go to my mechanic and try to polish it up since sometimes you can fix a scratch in this way. She agreed to this and when we went to my mechanic it did turn out it was cracked and we will have to replace the headlight. Talking there the mechanic said we could find a original part online and since it is a business lease car the Mercedes Benz lady told us the lease doesn’t end till November so we had quite a few months to find a replacement part. She literally said have a nice holiday/summer, don’t think about it and let’s fix this in autumn. Messaging between us then was minimal but after the summer I started looking online and saw I needed some more specific details (like is it a LED light or a adaptive led or halogen) and also wanted to know when the lease exactly ends since we would need some time to order the part and get the car to the mechanic. She stopped replying to me and never supplied those details, so after a few times of me contacting her and November came and went I thought/hoped maybe she had gone to the company and they had said the crack was so minimal it was fine. The real cause of her stopping replying was that she was undergoing radiotherapy so yesterday she messaged after all those months saying she had extended the lease so it’s on for another 6 months. I asked her again about the information I need and now she’s turning everything around saying she doesn’t want a used original part, she wants a new original part from the Mercedes dealer and that we have been dragging this out for all those months and that she will go to Mercedes this week and get us the invoice. I replied that the agreement was that we could order a part and have our mechanic install it, but she’s denying this now.

My questions are:
    Do we have the right in this situation to find a part and fix it through our mechanic?
    Or does she have the right to just decide herself how to fix it and we have to pay any invoice she sends us?
    In the aftermath of the accident it never occurred to me to inform my insurance of this tiny crack, is this a problem?
    She also didn’t inform her insurance, would that be a problem for her?

Thanks for any advice!
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X