• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confusion about motoring offence and fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusion about motoring offence and fine

Sorfy, this is a very long one. In April this year my partner and I went on out first holiday to the Lake District. I suffer from a number of disabilities so it was a mainly driving holiday. Every day we shared driving responsibilities at random intervals, I.e if I was getting tired she would drive to let me recover. I'm the registered keeper but both insured.
    One day one of us tripped a speed camera. Didn't realise until we got back and there was a letter asking for the details of the driver. Neither of us could remember who was driving at the time. I informed the police of this straight away and asked for a copy.of the photograph to try and identify the driver. It was not possible so they sent a NIP to my partner. She was in the same boat as I and informed the police.
    I moved house and kept in constant contact requesting updates be sent to my new address. Eventually I received a summons asking me to enter a plea. I checked bank statements, photographs and social media but still was unable to remember who was driving at the time, therefore I pleaded not guilty to both the speeding offence and the failure to identify the driver. I explained this in my mitigating circumstances and replied via the courts electronic plea service, but was not afforded the opportunity of providing my income (I am in receipt of pip and esa due to my disability). I received a date to attend trial in Carlisle (a 5 hour journey away). I spoke to the police officer who was collating the file and asked if they had received the mitigation. We discussed about the fact they have that excuse often as it is a tourist area and it was more than likely to be dismissed. I changed my plea on the proviso that he would drop the speeding offence, I explained I simply could not identify who was driving and he said to plead guilty to speeding would be a contempt lf court.
    I sent the court an email changing my plea for the s172 offence along with my income means, the police asked me to Cv21 them into this. This was about 2 weeks ago.
    yesterday I received a notice that 6 points were to be added to my licence and a fine of £584 to be paid by the end of october.
    I am in a bit of a state because that is a hell of a lot and impossible for me to pay without being in arrears with rent and bills. I was somewhat confused at why they would do this and thought they must have emailed me about the case.
    I checked my inbox and my junk mail and found that the email was sent to the police successfully but bounced back from the court.
    I have researched and apparently when on welfare support they apply a sliding scale and the fine is extremely excessive (magistrate court fine calculator, band c offence etc). Also, I haven't heard anything about the speeding offence either.
    I am very worried because another 3 points would result in my Motability car being taken away.
    I have never been in trouble with the police before or been to court. Am in a bit of a state and wonder why the court have done this without receiving my plea before the allocated court date or, if the police passed on my email, why they didn't take my means into account. Please, can anyone advise?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X