• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Solicitors Letter Out of Blue - Parents House Who Bought House as Freehold

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitors Letter Out of Blue - Parents House Who Bought House as Freehold

Not sure if this the right forum to ask this - out of the blue today my parents who are in their late 70s had a recorded delivery letter from a solicitor dealing with a deceased persons estate advising them of change of billing essentially and that the lease on their property is up in a few years too.

They had a big shock as they bought their house at Auction in 1970 and have never had any charges or anything

They have their copy of the deeds (well I and them have always assumed they are the deeds to the property) but they have "conveyance" at the top of it. Over the front page of this documemt its says Freehold of their property address - it doesnt say anything about title deeds (the original "conveyance" document is stored at a solicitors locally to us)

So it looks like yes the property is freehold - but when I read through what I could unserstand of this document theres lots of old worldy english regarding leasehold etc.......so Im not sure if this docoument is in fact deeds or some sort of leaseholder agreement.

I do know there are a number of signatures on this document which then had me thinking when I bought my property I didnt actually sign the deeds themselves......so thought that was odd too

Thier house is unregistered on the land registrty site and most bar a few in the street are all freehold properties so I was just wondering if there some sort of scam going where people search for unregistered land or something and then try it on?

My gut feeling is that its a genuine letter though as some of the names match on the solicitors leter and the Conveyance letter
    So they could have in fact been leasholding all this time

My guess is though the next step would be solicitors but if anyone has any experience or knows of scams would be appreciated

Thanks

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X