• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RE GREEDY LANDLORD (solicitors reply)and a WARNING to private renters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE GREEDY LANDLORD (solicitors reply)and a WARNING to private renters

this is just an update on my query on the above post, and maybe a warning to anyone thinking of renting privately,
    I had an odd reply from the trustees dealing with this chap, they have said that he should not have rented the properties he has without their prior knowledge I am assuming because he has quite a few restrictions attached to his bankruptcy, also
    2) the trustees have no liability towards (my friend) because:
    1, she was not a tenant at the date he was made bankrupt
    2 .she entered into the property without their knowledge or authority to do so after the date
    3. the Trustees did not contract with her and did not give the debtor authority to do so
    I understand what they are saying ( I think) and reading between the lines they imply that we should have checked him out first and more fool you for giving him all that money.
    I have accepted that it was a mistake, BUT most landlords do ask for a deposit, and yes a lot DON'T put it into a protection scheme. and most tenants would not know if its been done until a few months into the tenancy or indeed when they leave.
    BUT my big gripe is when you want to rent, a landlord will ask for references and proof that you can pay the rent, So would he mind if a tenant said OH is it ok if I just check with land registry that you own the property and that you are solvent!!!! emm I don't think so.
    But sadly that's just what you should do, pay the £3 and do a check, and when you pay a deposit no matter how small or big put it into a scheme or at least go to a bank a deposit it TOGETHER that way you know its done,
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X