• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Second Home Stamp Duty understanding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Home Stamp Duty understanding

Good afternoon,
    I would like to understand my options regarding the Second Home Stamp Duty tax.
    My partner and I (both single and not married) have a tenancy in common agreement on our current home (currently valued at £250k). This is our only home and it is owned outright, it is mortgage free.
    My partner's mother passed away last year, leaving her father widowed. Since the passing, my partner has been visiting her father at least once per fortnight. The father lives over two hours drive away which is becoming costly to visit. She is also staying in B&Bs as there is no space in her father's property.

We've been discussing our options and one such option is to purchase a small property near her father that she/I can stay in when visiting. We have no reason to believe he won't be with us for another decade.
    We are aware of the increased SDLT on second homes. I shall refer to the Second Home Stamp Duty tax as SHSDt. It is something that deters us from this pursing this path. However, we are not married and therefore I am wishing to understand if the SHSDt would be applicable to us if we follow the below course of action, in the order stated.
    1) She writes a Will that has me as the sole beneficiary to her estate. I write a Will that has her as the sole beneficiary to my estate.
    2) I formally/legally assign 100% of our current house to her and therefore I am no longer on any house deeds/land registry. Her, now, house is valued at £250k.
    3) I take the £100k joint savings and take a mortgage out solely in my name. The new purchased house is valued at, say, £300k, minus the £100k deposit, leaving a £200k mortgage.
    At this point, she is sole owner of a £250k home - mortgage free. I am an the sole owner (with the mortgage lender) of a £300k home which has £100k equity in it.

Question 1 - As the purchasing of this second home is now complete and it was completed through me alone, would I then be able to go on my partner's home (our original) as joint owner, and she go on the new home (my home) as joint owner, like the tenancy in common arrangement we currently have? In follow-up this question, would there need to be an elapsed time period before this can take place, if not immediately? Would the second home have to be mortgage-free before she could be added to the deeds and me added to her deeds?

Question 2 - I understand the Inheritance Tax threshold is currently £325k. If my partner passed, and providing her estate is £325k or less (currently her home would be valued at £250k, and all her savings remain in a joint account with me, so they would not be subject to inheritance tax) then I would incur no inheritance tax on her estate?

Question 3 - If I passed, then providing the equity in this second home is £325k or less, she wouldn't incur any inheritance tax in receiving my estate (any savings of mine would be in a joint account with her, so would avoid inheritance tax).

I appreciate there is a moral concern here and I am aware of the investment aspect, but the driver here is to provide support for her father. We have discussed him coming to us but there is no space, it wouldn't be ideal, and he doesn't wish to leave his area. We would like be fully transparent with our intention and, of course, fully legal.

If this is an avenue that is available to us, who/which professional should we seek to kick-start this for us?
    If you know of an alternative approach that would achieve our aim then please do share with me.

Best and regards,
    D. Roy.
    Last edited by David Roy51; 12th January 2023, 16:33:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X