• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Downpipe Dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downpipe Dispute

Good evening

About 10 years ago, maybe 12, our next door neighbours had an extension built onto the back of their property. This extension is blocked walled each side with glass and perspex roof and windows. Before it was put in I used the communal down pipe between our terraced properties to collect rainwater in a butt. After the extension was created a run off pipe was attached to the main shared drain pipe so that excess water could run down their roof, into their guttering and down into the soakaway. This extended pipe just above their roof was either put in my the builder who created the walls or the window company.

I'm sad to say that this is now causing problems between us. They want to have the run off pipe removed because it sometimes floods (as they call it) even though I have seen no evidence of this.

I had no problem them removing it, I went as far as saying 'do what you want, I don't care', its a pipe'. I mentioned that a neighbour could do the work for them and they should contact him. Following this I had a very heated conversation this morning with them after I refused to pay for the cost of removal. Again, I told them that if they wanted it removing, I was not paying a penny but they were free to carry on.

This evening I was called out to their garden by a chap that was a supposed builder but more than likely a friend of theirs. He made it known that if I didn't remove it in 7 days it would go to court and he stood there taking pics. I didn't want any more confrontation so I just walked in and ignored. him.

The neighbours are saying that this pipe is on my property and its up to me to remove their pipe, even though I didn't put it up there. The drain pipe is actually on the boundary of the garden wall that separates us, even though it was communal for over 50 odd years.

So, is it up to me to remove the offending pipe. Another thing, the reason they are having problems is because the soakaway is about a metre from their extension, so there isn't an actual run off pipe going down to the soakaway.

Please help me with this, its been going on far too long, Again, I'm not denying them access to remove it, I'm just not paying them for something that isn't mine.

Thank you all

Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X