• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

scaffolding access and rights of light regarding neighbour's loft conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scaffolding access and rights of light regarding neighbour's loft conversion

Hi

I live in an end of terrace house. My kitchen is at the rear (north) of the property and has a window facing the side of my neighbours round the corner. The side of their house is 9.5m from my kitchen window. I own the entire of the yard up to their wall.

They want to build a hip to gable plus dormer loft conversion under permitted development. I do not want it to proceed as I think it will adversely affect the view and light in my kitchen.

I have asked for further detail on the additional volume calculations to prove it will be under 40m3

It is not essential work so they can't get access through my property under Access to Neighbouring Land Act, but can they secure access by following the procedures under the Party Wall Act to increase the height of a party wall? Is the side of their house a party wall? Does adding the roof end gable count? Once they have built the gable end would they keep the scaffold my side of the wall whilst they complete the rest of the loft conversion?

If they manage to do the work from their side of the wall without scaffold above my yard do they still need to abide by the party wall act and provide me with protection of my property, security against damage, compensation for loss of privacy and enjoyment etc?

I am struggling to understand the right to light literature I have been reading. 10m rule, 25degree rule of thumb, 50/50 rule, Waldron method, no sky line, etc. Their architect was apparently dismissive of my concerns about loss of light but hasn't actually come to look at my window or my kitchen that it provides light for. Are there any good guides about DIY assessing right to light issues or will I need to engage a surveyor?
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X