• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

is this racial bias.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this racial bias.

Firstly, let me start off by saying I am not racist, everything I say on this thread is merely factual, and is to clarify matters.

I work on a construction site for a company who is relatively new to the construction industry. The company recruited an Indian site manager (SM) (still not a problem), who blamed my project manager (PM) for everything that was going wrong on site and for the project going over deadline, this subsequently resulted in the PM being dismissed.

Now this is where it starts getting interesting, the SM was promoted to PM, all the English speaking labourers were dismissed from the site, and the PM went to an agency to recruit a number of new labourers. Since then the whole labour workforce has become Indian, I have been able to recruit 1 English labourer (probably because he is my son), I recruited another and he has been dismissed. There was no reason given except that my head office didn't want to pay £14ph for an agency labourer, which I would like to point out, they are paying that for my son.

Since the PM took over the site, we have had a series of new SM's and they have all resigned because of the terrible way the site is being ran.

Now to clarify, this thread is not picking on the fact the labourers are not English, but I have a massive language barrier, they do not understand a word I am saying, I have to go to the PM to ask him to translate any instruction that I give them, and furthermore, when I sat there inductions for the site, it had to be translated. Now, please forgive me if I am wrong, but do new labourers on a site have to be able to understand the induction in English ?

All the labourers originate from the same place in E.London, the site is in Essex, isn't there a rule or guideline that states that construction companies have to recruit a certain percentage of local labour ?

Every time I talk to the directors of the business, that say "lets not go down that route", and they shut me down, they say they will look into it and nothing happens. They want me to complete the tasks set, but I cant tell the labourers what to do, the labourers don't seem to know what a labourer is there to do and they are not very productive. What can I do about the hard workers being dismissed for the lazy workers (who are Indian, this is a fact, not defamation of character), without jeopardising my own job.

I am the site supervisor, and I enjoy my job, but feel that I cant do it successfully with all the labourers that I have, and it seems that they are discriminating against anyone who speaks English.

Please help me, I fee like I'm reaching the end of my rope trying to get things done with lazy labourers.

Thank you.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X