• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Defence for Utility bill. - Directions, N180, Laws to use etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence for Utility bill. - Directions, N180, Laws to use etc.

Hi first of all thanks to all contributors here for the invaluable resource.

I am defending a claim against a DCA who's client have bought an old Utility debt in my name for which i dispute liability. I have used the templates and information from similar cases here to file a defence. The claimant is now progressing their claim through the courts and i have received the form N180 which I am to complete for directions to small claims track.

I would thus appreciate any advice or guidance at this stage please.

In the defence I have raised the following

1 No original agreement provided between parties (expect name was perhaps put on bill by another party - LL/agent/ex tenant)
    2 No default notice provided
    3 Pre action not completed properly (no agreement nor statement of account provided)
    4 Not enough or correct documents received to assess claim (no agreement, accurate statements or default notice provided)
    5 Dispute liability (should be landlords responsibility not tenant due to being an HMO)
    6 Might Be statute barred (i have not paid any bills to the account nor acknowledged the debt in previous 6 years)

Since filing the defence the claimant has still not provided an original agreement between the parties nor a default notice despite my written requests. Though they have now provided some bills, some of which contain dates when I did not live there. I have again requested more documents and the original agreement to properly assess the claim so that i can defend the case properly.

* Can anyone please advise how to now fill in the suitability for determination without a hearing and best put forward the required "factual disputes" in the N180 form?

* Can anyone also please advise which specific laws or legislation I am perhaps relying on in 1-6 please to put forward with this?

* Is it necessary to also amend the defence at this stage, to provide evidence to deny the bills in my name that occur during the periods when i didn't live there and that have only just been provided by the DCA after the defence was originally filed?

Many Thanks
    Last edited by brainbun; 16th September 2024, 17:16:PM.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X