• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MCOL claim from Cabot/Mortimer Clarke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCOL claim from Cabot/Mortimer Clarke

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 15/04/2024 @ CNBC Northampton
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes (29/04/2024)
    Total Amount Claimed : £1200-1300
    Claimant’s Name: Cabot Financial (UK) Limited
    Solicitors Firm: Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Ltd
    Original Creditor: New Day/Fluid
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Credit card
    Particulars of Claim:
    By an agreement between New Day RE Fluid & the Defendant on or around 22/10/2019 ('the Agreement') New Day RE Fluid agreed to issue the Defendant with a credit card. The Defendant failed to make the minimum payments due. The Agreement was terminated following the service of a default notice. The Agreement was assigned to the named Claimant. Cabot Credit Management Group Limited, acting as servicing agent of the named Claimant through its Appointed Representative (Cabot Financial (Europe) Limited), has arranged for these proceedings to be issued in the name of the Claimant. THE NAMED CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 1. £12xx 2. Costs
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): No
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
    Any Other Information or Background Details:

This was received while in the middle of trying to sort out a home move, which had already been arranged and the date set in stone. I am moving tomorrow, and then we have the long weekend, which looks like the CCA deadline runs up against the deadline for the defence, so that will be going off (to Cabot, cc MCS) today. Otherwise, I've not really had time to do more on this, and won't have time to do anything more today or tomorrow. I assume I should head that with the new address and include a sentence in the letter telling them to note the new address.

I take it I should then send a CPR 31.14 request (to MCS) for at the minimum, "Agreement", "default notice", "deed of assignment" and "notice of assignment", right?

Edit: On second thoughts, I don't see an account number listed in the PoC. Would it be the reference they've provided in the claim?
    Tags: None

Hi,

If the date of the claim is 15/04 and you have already acknowledged the claim, you have a total of 33 days from the date of the claim form to file a defence. By my calculations, that means that you have to submit by 4pm on Saturday 18 May but there is a rule that says any filing dates that fall on a weekend should be carried over to the next working day. So you effectively have until 4pm on Monday 20 May to file a defence.

With that all said, I would suggest you do not file a defence today because the deadline does not expire today. Claims issued via CNBC are deemed served 5 days after the date of the claim form, you then have 14 days to file a defence but if you acknowledge the claim you get a further 14 days allowance.

If, however, you want to rush out a defence today, then I certainly cannot help because there isn't enough information to go off.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
      With that all said, I would suggest you do not file a defence today because the deadline does not expire today. Claims issued via CNBC are deemed served 5 days after the date of the claim form, you then have 14 days to file a defence but if you acknowledge the claim you get a further 14 days allowance.
      Hi, sorry if I didn't make this clearer: the thing that was being sent off today was the CCA request, not the defence itself.

My concern was that the 12 working day response window would run too far past the deadline for a defence if I left that until next week, leaving me in a position where Cabot haven't yet responded but also haven't yet failed to comply.

Comment

As well as the CCA mentioned above, I sent the CPR31.14 last week, and I haven't received responses to either yet. If my defence is nominally due on Monday, I assume I would need to file the application for an "unless" order for compliance now, right? Can I send that to CNBC by email, or would they have to go by post? I will need to include an EX160, will this delay the application?

Also: Since this is at CNBC rather than a local court, do I want this determined "at a hearing" or "at a remote hearing"?

Thanks
        Last edited by foobar; Today, 03:25:AM.

Comment

Sorry for the ping echat11 but could you (or someone else) please clear this up? Don't want to accidentally sign myself up for an in-person hearing in Northampton.
          Originally posted by foobar View Post
          Also: Since this is at CNBC rather than a local court, do I want this determined "at a hearing" or "at a remote hearing"?

Comment

Originally posted by foobar View Post
            As well as the CCA mentioned above, I sent the CPR31.14 last week, and I haven't received responses to either yet. If my defence is nominally due on Monday, I assume I would need to file the application for an "unless" order for compliance now, right? Can I send that to CNBC by email, or would they have to go by post? I will need to include an EX160, will this delay the application?

Thanks
            a) As well as the CCA mentioned above, I sent the CPR31.14 last week, and I haven't received responses to either yet. If my defence is nominally due on Monday.

I wouldn't wait to file your Defence, the important thing is that you've requested the information. The Creditor / Solicitor should comply in due course.

You are responding to the Particulars of Claim with the facts you have at hand, this can be lodged with the Court via MCOL -

Here is an example Defence - https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

b) Can I send that to CNBC by email, or would they have to go by post? I will need to include an EX160, will this delay the application?

Responded in (a).

c) Also: Since this is at CNBC rather than a local court, do I want this determined "at a hearing" or "at a remote hearing"?

A personal Hearing, the case / Hearing will be transferred to a local Court, it won't be Northampton. The allocation will happen after you fill in a Directions Questionnaire.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X