• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

County court claim over private parking fine from 2019 - pay it or fight it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County court claim over private parking fine from 2019 - pay it or fight it?

Hello all,

I guess I'd like to know whether it is worth paying this just to get rid of it or if I can win this in a straightforward way.

I am a member of staff in a hospital. I pay for a hospital parking permit. I was parked in a hospital car park and received a PCN for either displaying an expired permit or not displaying my permit, can't remember which exactly. Either way the car was definitely covered by a valid permit at the time.

I basically ignored everything after that.. reminder letters from UKPC, which stopped after a few months. I had a few more from UKPC last year which went in the bin, then a letter from DCB legal about 6 weeks ago which I thought was another scaremongering tactic. Then I received a county court claim form for around £250, dated 19/5/23.

Issue Date: 19/5/23
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Not yet
    Total Amount Claimed : ~ £250
    Claimant’s Name: UK Parking Control
    Solicitors Firm: DCB Legal
    Original Creditor:
    Original Debt

Particulars of Claim: 1. The defendant is indebted to the Claimant for a Parking Charge at XXXXXXX issued to vehicle XXXXXX at XXXXXXX. 2. The PCN details are 23/10/2019, [PCN Number]. 3. The vehicle was parked in breach of the terms on C's signs (The Contract) thus incurring the PCN(s). 4. The driver agreed to pay within 28 days but did not. D is liable as the driver or keeper. Despite requests, the PCN is outstanding. The contract entitles C to damages.

AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS
    1. £X being the total of the PCNs and damages. 2. Interest at a rate of 8% per annum pursuant to s.69 of the county courts act 1984 from the date hereof at a daily rate of £0.01 until judgement or sooner payment. 3. Costs and court fees.

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): I believe they have 5 years from the date of the original charge, so no.

List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): Letter before claim from DCB legal. Will dig it out and post the date when I get home.

Any Other Information or Background Details:

As I say, the car was actually covered by a valid permit at the time. I can probably get evidence from the car parking services to confirm this. Either way I have to send an acknowledgement of service before 7/6/23. And yes, I know I'm an idiot and I should probably have contested it at the time. But I didn't and we are here now. Unfortunately I don't have the original PCN or any other of UKPCs letters any more.

I would be very grateful for your thoughts on this!

Many thanks,

V
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X