• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Private car sale to trader - received court claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He paid via bank transfer.

I have a copy of the original advert. Let me know if needed.

Will refactor statement based on the above.

Thanks.

Comment

Also in my defence it seems copying and pasting from Word stripped out quotes in various places, my text message said "we'll" not "well". Just didn't want anyone to think I was illiterate.

Comment

Sorry - force of habit xx Pasting to here is a pain in the bum sometimes - normally best to copy paste into notepad then copy that into here if you're working on Word or anything as notepad strips hidden formatting crap out.

I think we'll take more out and reamend anyway once those bits are done to make it more defence than witness statement. Just wary of adding in arguments for him to use that he hasn't plead ( ie he hasn't actually plead that the vehicle was misdescribed or anything )
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Amethyst.

The time of the text & call is very relevant but yet to come into play. I will PM you and you will get it because it will bury the claimant should what I feel to be correct is correct & I would bet every penny I have that it is indeed what will happen next should this idiot continue with his claim.

Comment

Do you think it would be important or worthwhile to note in the Defence that the vehicle is modified ("remapped" to increase engine power) ?

The remap would have likely invalidated any manufacturer warranty claim on the car (if such a warranty existed), particularly where the fault occured in a powertrain component. Furthermore the remap would place additional stress on engine components, hence why an engine related claim would be invalidated.

The original advert mentioned that it was modified, the Claimant was aware of it - remarking upon it positively during the test drive, and has himself advertised the car including the modification (as it is a value add to the vehicle).

Comment

Originally posted by DTrebor View Post
              Do you think it would be important or worthwhile to note in the Defence that the vehicle is modified ("remapped" to increase engine power) ?

The remap would have likely invalidated any manufacturer warranty claim on the car (if such a warranty existed), particularly where the fault occured in a powertrain component. Furthermore the remap would place additional stress on engine components, hence why an engine related claim would be invalidated.

The original advert mentioned that it was modified, the Claimant was aware of it - remarking upon it positively during the test drive, and has himself advertised the car including the modification (as it is a value add to the vehicle).
              Why do you think that is important?

The claimant is using that as a selling tool.

Comment

I have read your defence & it all seems OK to me.

You just have to submit it to court & a copy to him & carry on with your life for a few months.

When the invoice turns up for the work then give me a PM.

Just open all your post until the matter is over with.

Should anything happen that you are concerned about later then just message me.

By the way he has just messaged me offering the dropped down price of £24k. Telling me I will not find a better example with complete history by the owners blah blah etc etc

Comment

No need to send the defence to the claimant, only the court. The court send a copy to the claimant. After that everything is copied to the claimant

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                    No need to send the defence to the claimant, only the court. The court send a copy to the claimant. After that everything is copied to the claimant
                    Thank you for correcting me.

Comment

Amethyst GBExile and everyone else who would like to offer advice, here is my updated Defence:

Notwithstanding the fact that the Claimant has failed to comply with the Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct and Protocol, the Defendant pleads to the entirety of the Particulars of Claim as follows:

1. The Claimant is a motor trader carrying on business in buying & selling motor vehicles under the trading name of COMPANY NAME, located at COMPANY ADDRESS.

2. The Defendant is a private individual, with no mechanical knowledge or expertise.

3. The Defendant accepts that he sold a vehicle to the Claimant on 31/07/2019 for the sum of £18,500.

4. The Claimant purchased the vehicle in person and inspected the vehicle in full prior to purchasing it.

5. The Claimant test drove the vehicle himself for no less than 7 miles (with Defendant in passenger seat) during which time no faults or problems were identified.

6. The vehicle was advertised and sold as a private sale, with the registration of the vehicle being transferred to the Claimant in his company’s name – COMPANY NAME, at the address: COMPANY ADDRESS.

7. The Claimant paid a deposit of £250 to hold the vehicle by bank transfer on 29/07/2019 at 20:49, and a further payment of £18,250 by bank transfer on 31/07/2019 at 12:06.

8. The Defendant received a text message from the Claimant on 31/07/2019 at 13:32 which stated, “Just on the m5 and I notice the rear diff is starting to make a noise when off the gas”.

9. The Defendant did not witness the noise as described by the Claimant and no evidence of the noise, or the subsequent diagnosis of the source of such noise, has been provided to the Defendant.

10. It is admitted that the Defendant responded to the Claimant’s text message stating that if the Claimant had the vehicle looked at he would consider the way forward from there.

11. The Defendant is unable to admit or deny the Claimant’s assertion that it was reported "“the internal bearing on the rear differential had completely disintegrated with a cost of £3600 to repair"”. The Claimant has not produced evidence of any such report, nor any estimate or invoice for cost of repair.

12. The Defendant accepts that it was said to the Claimant that the vehicle would not need anything doing to it until the next MOT before it was purchased but disputes the scope of the statement. The statement was made in context of the vehicle having received its full service in January 2019, including 4 new tyres fitted, with its next MOT due in November 2019, and therefore no scheduled maintenance was expected before that date. It would be impossible for any individual to guarantee that a vehicle could not develop a fault at any time due to wear and tear or misuse, a fact the Claimant would have been acutely aware of as an experienced motor trader.

13. The Defendant is unable to admit or deny the Claimant’s assertion that he has “"a bill not far off £4000"” as no evidence of any report, estimate or invoice has been provided to the Defendant.

14. The Defendant was not aware of the alleged fault prior to sale and would not have had the competence to identify it.

15. The Claimant stated in multiple text messages that he did not blame the Defendant for the alleged fault, and that he believed the Defendant was not aware of the alleged fault at point of sale.

16. Upon receipt of the claim in this case the Defendant had a look online and has found the Claimant listed the car for sale on eBay, Gumtree, Car & Classic and his own website – https://COMPANYWEBSITE, with no mention of the alleged fault or any issues with the vehicle. The adverts have been placed under the name of COMPANY NAME and further demonstrates that the Claimant is in fact an experienced motor trader.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards your previous suggestion Amethyst - I don't know exactly what time the vehicle was "collected", the Claimant drove the vehicle perhaps 5-10 minutes after payment had been made. Full payment was received at 12:06 and I have an email from DVLA confirming the online keeper transfer at 12:26 which was done after he had left.

For what it's worth I have been responding to the claim online, per the instructions on the claim letter. As such I assume it deals with sending on my Defence to wherever it needs to go.

Comment

Anyone have any comments?

Comment

Originally posted by DTrebor View Post
                          Anyone have any comments?
                          I think you have covered it all.

Now all you can do is collate the screen shots & keep checking up on any amendments he makes.

Comment

Amethyst ?

Comment

Ok I am stuck now. I have entered the Defence online, and it has taken me to a step where I need to put in a "Timeline of Events" and then subsequently "List any Evidence".

I am being presented with what's on this PDF (page 7) - https://legalbeagles.info/wp-content...-claimants.pdf

Both steps are optional but the "List any Evidence" guidance suggests that "If you have any documents, such as invoices,. photographs, agreements, that you will rely on in bringing your case, enter them here" - so it seems important that I should mention something, but what? Text messages? The original advert? Evidence of the full service history? Evidence of his adverts?

How specific with the timeline do I need to be? For example he has included everything on one date - the day he bought the car - but he paid a deposit before that date, for example. I don't know how specific I need to be on this bit.

Please help!

Comment

Just post the whole thing 1st class signed for to the court address.

No need to worry then.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X