• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell vs myself. County court claim- statute Barred.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell vs myself. County court claim- statute Barred.

Hi i'm a new member so hope I've done this right.

Hi I would greatly appreciate some help and advice as CAB and the national debtline have been of no help in my case at all and I feel I am just being passed around from place to place.
    I have recently received a County court claim form. the claimant being lowell. I wish to defend the case on account that a provident loan was taken out over 13 years ago, Lowell have taken on the debt and all these years later at a new address they have sent me this claim. I should have been issued with a 30 day right to respond claim directly from Lowell but I didn't receive this. I am also quite ill and this isn't helping. Ive asked for a template to help word my defense for statute barred, my only defense is that the debt is over 6 years and having checked my credit clear score I do not have a ccj from them. However the national debt helpline have told me I have to have legal representation, I can't afford this nor do any law firms deal in free advice for statute barred. three days on I am still struggling for help could anyone here please help with a template and would I have to appear in court to defend my case, I am currently too ill and have longterm anxiety health issues that would be a problem. Thanks in advance to anyone that could help me with this.

Tags: None

Firstly the debt not appearing on your credit file doesn't necessarily mean it's Stat Barred, when was the last payment made to the debt?

You can respond to the claim and not go to court, it's always better to attend court as you can respond to anything that comes up in the hearing, but you can also notify the court later down the line from now that you do not wish to attend and therefore ask them to hear the case of your written submissions alone.

The Example Defence has a portion about being Stat Barred, however it would be wrong of me to advise you to just plead this as one argument only offers one legal position.

In reality I think you need to follow the First Steps , send a CPR 31.14 Request to the solicitors and a CCA Request to Lowell.

Also send a Subject Access Request Letter to Provident.
    COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by alleyblade View Post

Hi i'm a new member so hope I've done this right.

Hi I would greatly appreciate some help and advice as CAB and the national debtline have been of no help in my case at all and I feel I am just being passed around from place to place.
      I have recently received a County court claim form. the claimant being lowell. I wish to defend the case on account that a provident loan was taken out over 13 years ago, Lowell have taken on the debt and all these years later at a new address they have sent me this claim. I should have been issued with a 30 day right to respond claim directly from Lowell but I didn't receive this. I am also quite ill and this isn't helping. Ive asked for a template to help word my defense for statute barred, my only defense is that the debt is over 6 years and having checked my credit clear score I do not have a ccj from them. However the national debt helpline have told me I have to have legal representation, I can't afford this nor do any law firms deal in free advice for statute barred. three days on I am still struggling for help could anyone here please help with a template and would I have to appear in court to defend my case, I am currently too ill and have longterm anxiety health issues that would be a problem. Thanks in advance to anyone that could help me with this.
      Have you acknowledged the claim ? This needs to be your first step - just tick that you intend to defend in full - then it extends the time you have to respond to 33 days from the date of issue printed on the claim form xxx

Then as Jaguars says, start sorting out some letters to help with the defence later
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post
        Firstly the debt not appearing on your credit file doesn't necessarily mean it's Stat Barred, when was the last payment made to the debt?

You can respond to the claim and not go to court, it's always better to attend court as you can respond to anything that comes up in the hearing, but you can also notify the court later down the line from now that you do not wish to attend and therefore ask them to hear the case of your written submissions alone.

The Example Defence has a portion about being Stat Barred, however it would be wrong of me to advise you to just plead this as one argument only offers one legal position.

In reality I think you need to follow the First Steps , send a CPR 31.14 Request to the solicitors and a CCA Request to Lowell.

Also send a Subject Access Request Letter to Provident.
        Hi the last payment would have been around twelve years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by alleyblade View Post

Hi the last payment would have been around twelve years ago.
          It is still best to protect yourself with as many legal arguments as possible, so after Acknowledging send the letters. When you send the CCA mark he cheque/postal order clearly on the front with "CCA 1974 STATUTORY FEE" and take a pic or copy for your records to make sure they cannot apply it for the debt and claim you made a payment to it.
          COMPLETING AN N180 DIRECTIONS QUESTIONNAIRE (SMALL CLAIMS TRACK) GUIDE

My posts here are based on my experience of a variety of life events. I have no formal legal training & if in doubt take professional legal advice or contact CAB. If you follow anything I write here you do so at your own risk & I accept no liability for any loss, costs or other outcomes.

Private messages are disabled as help is only offered publicly. I do not come on here in the evening, at weekends or on public holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post

Have you acknowledged the claim ? This needs to be your first step - just tick that you intend to defend in full - then it extends the time you have to respond to 33 days from the date of issue printed on the claim form xxx

Then as Jaguars says, start sorting out some letters to help with the defence later
            Hi yes I acknowledged the claim via the online moneyclaim.gov site and ticked I intended to defend the entire claim. (thank you for helping).

Comment

Originally posted by jaguarsuk View Post

It is still best to protect yourself with as many legal arguments as possible, so after Acknowledging send the letters. When you send the CCA mark he cheque/postal order clearly on the front with "CCA 1974 STATUTORY FEE" and take a pic or copy for your records to make sure they cannot apply it for the debt and claim you made a payment to it.
              Hi I am currently preparing the letters today to send off as per your instruction. thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X