• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

tv license sjp notice help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tv license sjp notice help

hi all i recieved a tv license sjp notice today. A tv license agent attended my property and said iv not being paid for tv license, i said to him i do not watch bbc channels but watch netflix/sky and kids watch youtube. he said as your watching sky you have pay for license, i said to him i did not know then he set up a payment plan. Iv filled the sjp online and pleaded not guilty because i did not know.

has anybody been in this situation
    Tags: None

Hi SAMMY030816

Welcome to LB

I can't advise, I'm sure others will, the following might help -

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ99

Comment

You have pleaded "Not Guilty" on the basis of ignorance of the law.

islandgirl have any comments?

Comment

The BBC site says

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
        • watch or record TV on any channel - via any TV service (e.g. Sky, Virgin, BT, Freeview, Freesat)
        • watch TV live on any streaming service (e.g. ITVX, Channel 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go)
        • watch BBC iPlayer*.
        If you had pleaded guilty you would have got a small fine - band A, 50% of weekly income less a third for early guilty plea. As you have gone not guilty there will be a trial. However in the TV courts I sit in we have a brilliant prosecutor who will often speak to people outside the court and resolve the issues if she can. You must turn up at court on the day and explain that it was ignorance of the law and this is why you have pleaded not guilty. Magistrates are usually very understanding in situations like this. It will work very much in your favour if you are now paying (the prosecutor will know...)
        You may have to pay the fine plus costs.

Here are the sentencing guidelines
        https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk...-revised-2017/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X