• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Surface water run-off from highway

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface water run-off from highway

A large torrent of surface water is running down from the highway into my garden, potentially damaging the foundations of my property. The water is being diverted towards my house due to an irregularity in the surface of the road. Unfortunately, the local authority has refused to deal with the matter. Rather than spend thousands of pounds in the County Court, I would like to apply to the Magistrates court for an injunction. Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 seems relevant. Does anyone know the best way of going about this and whether or not any other statutes may also be of use? I wrote to the local Magistrates court and they wanted to know why I thought they had jurisdiction. Thank you.
    Tags: None

s82 applies in cases of statutory nuisances. Do you consider that there is one - see s79.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      s82 applies in cases of statutory nuisances. Do you consider that there is one - see s79.
      Thanks for the heads up. I’m thinking of (e) - ‘any accumulation or deposit which is prejudicial to health or a nuisance’.

Comment

Sorry, I cannot see what you have described coming within that definition.

Are there any steps that you can take to protect your property?
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Sorry, I cannot see what you have described coming within that definition.

Are there any steps that you can take to protect your property?
          Not without incurring substantial expense. Besides, the water is dirty - it carries a lot of debris and dirt with it. I’m thinking that it falls within (e) because it’s an ‘accumulation’ of a large volume of water on the highway. Please see attached photos. The council states that the patched section of tarmac is not defective, but it’s irregular and channels the surface water towards the property, rather than down the road.

Comment

You may be right, but I strongly recommend you to do a lot more research into s79(1)(e) and any examples of how it has been applied. My feeling is that it applies to things like piles of rubbish giving rise to smells, vermin etc.

You may have a claim in private nuisance, which is a different thing.

Have you raised this with your property insurer?

Comment

Have you raised this with your property insurer?
              The difficulty is that the property was only purchased recently and we’re not sure when the issue started, as the vendor didn’t disclose it.

Comment

That is surely not a reason not to contact your insurer.

You may also wish to review the seller's answers to your pre contract enquiries and what the seller said on the property information form, particularly if you think that this was a pre-existing problem.

Comment

That is surely not a reason not to contact your insurer.

You may also wish to review the seller's answers to your pre contract enquiries and what the seller said on the property information form, particularly if you think that this was a pre-existing problem.
                  The seller stated that there was no issue, as far as he was aware. I contacted our former conveyancing solicitor, but he gave me very short shrift, stating that it’s far too late for me to be raising issues. (Unfortunately, there’s also an issue with Japanese knotweed that was concealed from us and that will make the property harder to sell).

It’s a little bit complicated, as the vendor was in a nursing home and her son answered some of my follow-up questions. I assume that the sale proceeds went to him, as the vendor’s solicitors referred to him as their client; so, even if we do have a claim, it might be tricky to recover any compensation. I don’t even know if the vendor is still alive.

Unless we can prove damage to the foundations of the property, even if the issue is not pre-existing, would the insurer actually do anything?

Comment

Ask your insurer!

And I am not impressed with your conveyancer.

Comment

Ask your insurer!

And I am not impressed with your conveyancer.
                      Nor am I. His response was so rude that I really couldn’t believe it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X