• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overdales / Lowell / Next Claim Form received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdales / Lowell / Next Claim Form received

Hi there,

I have come back off a 2 week holiday and have received a Claim Form from Overdales Solicitors, on behalf of Lowells.

The debt is from an old Next Catalogue I had years ago before I ran in to a few issues and couldn't pay - it defaulted in approximately 2019.

Now I am having a bit of a panic as the Claim Form is dated 14 April. Given the 5 days postage grace this means my 14 days to respond is up today! I have completed an AOS this morning but am trying to find out quickly if there is anything I else I need to do today?

Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes
    Issue Date: 14/04/2023
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: Yes
    Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000) £3000
    Claimant’s Name: Lowell Financial
    Solicitors Firm: Overdales Solicitors
    Original Creditor: Next
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Store Card
    Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
    The claim is for the sum of £2,522.14 due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for a Next account with a reference of FP485245.
    The defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required by the agreements and a default notice was served under s.87(1) of the CCA 1974 which has not been complied with.
    The debt was legally assigned to the claimant on 30-06-21, notice of which has been given to the defendant.
    The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the County Court Act 1984 at a rate of 7% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £201.77.
    The claimant claims the sum of £2723.91

Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): Not sure if statute barred. Last contact was approx 2017/18.
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): None yet.
    Any Other Information or Background Details:

i am going to go through all of the forums now and check what letters i need to send but any advice appreciated. Thanks in advance - I am having a bit of a meltdown here!
    Tags: None

Hi Ian_Mac

Welcome to LB

Calm down, it should be o.k.

a) You can Acknowledge of Service online via MCOL, (deny to all) that will give you an extra 14 days to file your defence, so that's 14 + 14, 28 days (plus 5 days postal) from the date on the claim form, make a note in your diary, You need to get your Defence in before that date. Update the thread so help can be provided for your defence.

b) Send the CCA request, make sure you get Proof of Postage -

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...etter-example/

c) Send the CPR 31.14 request, make sure you get Proof of Postage -

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-of-documents/

Comment

Thanks for coming back to me and for your advice to date.

CCA and CPR will be sent today with proof of postage. Do i also need to find out if it is statute barred as i am unsure on when the last correspondence was?

Defence has to be submitted by 17 May i believe (claim form was issued on 14 Apr) so any tips on what next would be appreciated.

Comment

a) CCA and CPR will be sent today with proof of postage. Do i also need to find out if it is statute barred as i am unsure on when the last correspondence was?

Send them a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account over a 6 years period, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

b) Defence has to be submitted by 17 May i believe (claim form was issued on 14 Apr) so any tips on what next would be appreciated.

Here is an example defence, you have most of the info, if you have a go at it, post it up on this thread without personal details, then I can take a look, do it about 3 days before it's due. Your defence has to be filed with the Court and a copy sent to the creditor's solicitors, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...-court-claims/

Comment

Hi, I received a letter in the post yesterday titled Notice of pending County Court Judgement from Overdales dated 4th May.
          It states i have failed to respond to the County Court Claim.

The claim was issued against me on 14/04/2023
          Acknowledgment of service was submitted on 03/05/2023 at 09:52:56
          Acknowledgment of service was received on 03/05/2023 at 12:05:09

Have i got my dates all wrong and this has gone in too late? Do i need to be worrying now that i haven't got the 14 extra days or just continue as outlined above? If i'm ok which i believe i am, is it ok to just ignore this new letter? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by ian_mac View Post
            Hi, I received a letter in the post yesterday titled Notice of pending County Court Judgement from Overdales dated 4th May.
            It states i have failed to respond to the County Court Claim.

The claim was issued against me on 14/04/2023
            Acknowledgment of service was submitted on 03/05/2023 at 09:52:56
            Acknowledgment of service was received on 03/05/2023 at 12:05:09

Have i got my dates all wrong and this has gone in too late? Do i need to be worrying now that i haven't got the 14 extra days or just continue as outlined above? If i'm ok which i believe i am, is it ok to just ignore this new letter? Thanks in advance.
            Email Overdale's / Court explain that you've Acknowledge of Service.

Do you want to get your Defence in?

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

Email Overdale's / Court explain that you've Acknowledge of Service.

Do you want to get your Defence in?
              Do i need to put it in now? I believe i have until 17th May and was going to wait a week and see if i get a response from CCA / CPR / SAR? They were only sent on Thursday to Lowell / Overdale.

Comment

Do i need to put it in now? I believe i have until 17th May and was going to wait a week and see if i get a response from CCA / CPR / SAR? They were only sent on Thursday to Lowell / Overdale.
                Because of the Bank Holidays, I doubt you will get anything back before the 17th May.

Comment

Hi, i have started the defence draft. Sections in red, i am assuming i delete as i don't know at this stage if it is statute barred and i haven't requested more time? I also don't know if the claimant has failed to comply do i? They may provide the documents i have requested at a later date?

Could i ask for any feedback please? Am i on the right lines?
                  Thanks in advance.
                  Ian

DEFENCE
                  1.The Defendant received the claim KXXXXXX from Northampton County Court on 19 April 2023.
                  2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.
                  3.This claim appears to be for a Catalogue Account agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
                  4.It is admitted that the Defendant has previously entered into an agreement with Next for provision of credit.
                  5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.
                  6.The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.
                  7.[The Defendant contends the alleged debt is statute barred by virtue of Section 5 of the Limitations Act 1980 in that no payment or acknowledgment has been made for over 6 years]
                  8.The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Next to Lowell Portfolio I Ltd on 30 June 2021. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.
                  9.It is denied that Next served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.
                  10.On the 5 May 2023 the Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Overdales Solicitors. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment.
                  11. Overdales Solicitors has not sent any of these documents to the Defendant.
                  12.On the 5 May 2023 the Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Lowell Portfolio I Ltd pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.
                  13.The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.
                  14. The Defendant have asked the Claimant if we may agree to extend the time period allowed for filing of the defence pending receipt of documents (as allowed under CPR 15.5), but they have declined. [The Parties agreed to an extension to the time period allowed for filing of the defence under CPR 15.5 to allow the Claimants additional time to produce the relevant documentation to evidence their claim, however they have failed to do so.]
                  15.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.
                  16.The Defendant respectfully requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for The Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out.
                  17.In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.
                  18.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.
                  Statement of Truth
                  I believe that the facts stated in this [name document being verified] are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.

Comment

Hi, is it possible to get some feedback on this please? I need to enter my defence early next week. Thanks in advance

Comment

a) I also don't know if the claimant has failed to comply do i?

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll respond in due course.

b) They may provide the documents i have requested at a later date?

Yes, the important thing is to get the requests in.

Read through the Defence below, make sure it's correct. I've removed the limitation / extension paragraphs as they don't apply.

Email the Defence to the Court as an attachment.

Email it to: ccbcaq@justice.gov.uk (you should get an automatic email from the Court acknowledging that they have received it)

In the email subject line write - Claim No: XXXXXXXXX - DEFENDANTS DEFENCE - XXXXXXXXXXX V XXXXXXXXX

Remember to post a copy to Overdales solicitors, make sure you get Proof of Postage.

DEFENCE

1.The Defendant received the claim KXXXXXX from Northampton County Court on 14 April 2023.

2.Each and every allegation in the Claimants statement of case is denied unless specifically admitted in this Defence.

3.This claim appears to be for a Catalogue Account agreement regulated under the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

4.It is admitted that the Defendant has previously entered into an agreement with Next for provision of credit.

5.The Claimants statement of case fails to give adequate information to enable me to properly assess my position with regards the claim.

6.The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim fail to state when the agreement was entered into.

7.The Claimants statement of case states that the account was assigned from Next to Lowell Portfolio I Ltd on 30 June 2021. The Defendant does not recall receiving notice of this assignment.

8.It is denied that Next served any Default notice on the Defendant pursuant to s87 Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is required to prove that a compliant Default Notice was served upon the Defendant. The Claimant is required to prove that the any Default notice relied upon complied with the requirements of s88(4A) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and that the notice was in the prescribed form as required by The Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Notice Regulations 1983.

9.On the 5 May 2023 the Defendant sent a request for inspection of documents mentioned in the claimant’s statement of case under Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 to Overdales Solicitors. I requested the Claimant provide copies of the Agreement, Default Notice and Notice of Assignment.

10. Overdales Solicitors has not sent any of these documents to the Defendant.

11.On the 5 May 2023 the Defendant sent a formal request for a copy of the original agreement to Lowell Portfolio I Ltd pursuant to section 78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 along with the statutory £1 fee.

12.The Claimant has failed to comply with s 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and by virtue of s 78 Consumer Credit Act 1974 cannot enforce the agreement.

13.Under Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (4) Where the claim includes a money claim, a defendant shall be taken to require that any allegation relating to the amount of money claimed be proved unless he expressly admits the allegation. Therefore, it is expected that the Claimant be required to prove the allegation that the money is owed as claimed.

14.The Defendant respectfully requests the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for The Defendant to fully plead his case else the Claim should stand struck out.

15.In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimant, the Defendant will then be in a position to amend his defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment.

16.It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief as claimed or at all.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this Defence are true. I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help to date, it is really appreciated. Defence has been emailed and a copy sent to Overdales.
                        Just to make sure, i don't need to do anything else on Money Claim at the moment do i for the defence? Is it just a case of sitting tight now and seeing what they come back with?
                        Thanks, Ian

Comment

Thanks for all of your help to date, it is really appreciated. Defence has been emailed and a copy sent to Overdales.
                          Just to make sure, i don't need to do anything else on Money Claim at the moment do i for the defence? Is it just a case of sitting tight now and seeing what they come back with?
                          Thanks, Ian
                          a) i don't need to do anything else on Money Claim at the moment do i for the defence?

No, you don't need to do anything more with Money Claim.

b) Is it just a case of sitting tight now and seeing what they come back with?

They have 28 days to respond to your Defence, see what they comeback with (you might want to respond).

The Court will send a Directions Questionnaire after 28 days, asking if you want Mediation, that will depend on what they send you.

Comment

Hi, so i have now received my first correspondence in response to my letters:
                            1) HM Courts and Tribunal acknowledgement of defence - dated 17 May 2023
                            2) Overdales response stating:

........It is also likely that our Client's Claim will be allocated to the Small Claims Track.

Accordingly, it is our Client's position that the provisions of CPR 31 do not apply to this Claim.

Despite this, we can confirm that documents in support of our Client's Claim have been requested and will be provided upon receipt.

In the meantime, please find enclosed reconstituted copies of the Notice of Assignment as requested.

Copies are attached below. Could i please get some advice on next steps and if there is anything i need to do yet?

Thanks. Ian

Comment

Hi, so i have now received my first correspondence in response to my letters:
                              1) HM Courts and Tribunal acknowledgement of defence - dated 17 May 2023
                              2) Overdales response stating:

........It is also likely that our Client's Claim will be allocated to the Small Claims Track.

Accordingly, it is our Client's position that the provisions of CPR 31 do not apply to this Claim.

Despite this, we can confirm that documents in support of our Client's Claim have been requested and will be provided upon receipt.

In the meantime, please find enclosed reconstituted copies of the Notice of Assignment as requested.

Copies are attached below. Could i please get some advice on next steps and if there is anything i need to do yet?

Thanks. Ian
                              You need to understand what they've sent you.
                              a) The Court Acknowledged you Defence,
                              b) They've sent reconstituted letters of assignment,
                              c)They've requested further information that you have requested.

You don't need to do anything else at the moment, update when you get more docs, but don't post them up, just state what they are and look at anomalies.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X