• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Overdales / Lowell / Next Claim Form received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

You need to understand what they've sent you.
    a) The Court Acknowledged you Defence,
    b) They've sent reconstituted letters of assignment,
    c)They've requested further information that you have requested.

You don't need to do anything else at the moment, update when you get more docs, but don't post them up, just state what they are and look at anomalies.
    So i believe i am now in receipt of everything and things have moved quite quickly this week...

1) SAR received for the 3 accounts Lowell have for me. Only one is at Court stage currently.
    This is several hundred pages long and a bit of a minefield. Is there anything in particular i need to be looking for here?

2) A letter dated 18 July mentioning a settlement figure that i need to respond to in 14 days. I simply don't have this cash so it isn't an option.
    I haven't acknowledged this at all. Do i need to?

3) Notice of Proposed Allocation to Small Claims. I must complete the questionnaire by 7 August.

Can i get advice on where i go from here please? I am not sure what i am looking for in the documents provided and it all feels like a bit of a minefield. Any help appreciated as always.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by ian_mac View Post

So i believe i am now in receipt of everything and things have moved quite quickly this week...

1) SAR received for the 3 accounts Lowell have for me. Only one is at Court stage currently.
      This is several hundred pages long and a bit of a minefield. Is there anything in particular i need to be looking for here?

2) A letter dated 18 July mentioning a settlement figure that i need to respond to in 14 days. I simply don't have this cash so it isn't an option.
      I haven't acknowledged this at all. Do i need to?

3) Notice of Proposed Allocation to Small Claims. I must complete the questionnaire by 7 August.

Can i get advice on where i go from here please? I am not sure what i am looking for in the documents provided and it all feels like a bit of a minefield. Any help appreciated as always.

Ian

Start by looking at the account where a Court claim has been made, check the Agreement for anomalies, has agreement got the prescribed terms. Then look at the Default Notice does it comply and look at letters of Assignment. Then go through other stuff for account. Make notes if anything is out of place. Do the same with the other accounts, do it in stages.

2) A letter dated 18 July mentioning a settlement figure that i need to respond to in 14 days. I simply don't have this cash so it isn't an option. I haven't acknowledged this at all. Do i need to?

When you've checked the paperwork for this account post an update. You could write to them, ask for an extension until 30th August, explain that you want to seek help from a debt advisor, e.g. CAB.

If you've received all the documentation requested, then say 'yes' to mediation.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...uestionnaire//

Comment

Hi, i have had a look at all of this and although I'm not really sure what I'm doing, I think everything is in place;
        Check the Agreement for anomalies - i believe it has all of the right terms etc. The only thing is it isn't signed and I can't see date's of when I entered in to the agreement although elsewhere I can see a balance from April 2007.
        Default Notice - I believe it's all ok - it contains the nature of the alleged breach and that the breach is capable of remedy with an appropriate date.
        Notice of Assignment - Again, I think this is all ok.

I have looked at all of the other stuff they have sent and there's 200 pages of info that I don't understand at all. I have to assume it's all present and correct. Review of defence is blacked out but everything else appears in order.

I have requested mediation and have an extension to respond by 30 Aug to Overdales. Any advice on next steps would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

a) I have requested mediation and have an extension to respond by 30 Aug to Overdales.

Good regards mediation, what is the extension for?

b) The only thing is it isn't signed and I can't see date's of when I entered in to the agreement although elsewhere I can see a balance from April 2007.

Go through the agreement again, you've already spotted there are no dates regarding when it was taken out.

Use the links below to determine what term is missing.

https://lawzone.legal/when-is-a-cred...unenforceable/

Comment

I requested the extension as I said I was seeking debt advice from CAB amongst others. This was approved in writing and i have since communicated this to the courts for awareness and to make sure nothing was progressed before the end of the month.

I will go through the agreement again this evening and report back on any anomalies. Thank you for the assistance.

Comment

Hi, I have gone through this agreement again a few times and tried to clarify what I can see based on the link provided...

a) ... signed in the prescribed manner both by the debtor or hirer - document is not signed by a borrower

(b) the document embodies all the terms of the agreement, other than implied terms - document contains calculation of minimum payment, variable credit limit, APR and many other T&C's
              (c) It is legible

In addition the following must be contained: –
              1. a) A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit - confirms it is variable
              2. b) A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement - APR is stated
              3. c) A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments
                1. Number of repayments; - it is stated how monthly payments will be calculated.
                2. Amount of repayments; - it is stated how monthly payments will be calculated.
                3. Frequency and timing of repayments;- it is stated they are monthly.
                4. Dates of repayments; it is stated they are monthly.
                5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable.- states they have the right to vary APR at any time with 28 days notice.
              I feel like a lot that is required is in the agreement. The anomaly is the signing.
              There is also a clause that says by signing the agreement I will receive a next card for purchasing - does this mean anything if I have not signed the agreement?

Am i missing anything fundamental here or does this cover everything? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Hi, I have gone through this agreement again a few times and tried to clarify what I can see based on the link provided...

a) ... signed in the prescribed manner both by the debtor or hirer - document is not signed by a borrower

(b) the document embodies all the terms of the agreement, other than implied terms - document contains calculation of minimum payment, variable credit limit, APR and many other T&C's
                (c) It is legible

In addition the following must be contained: –
                1. a) A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit - confirms it is variable
                2. b) A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement - APR is stated
                3. c) A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments
                  1. Number of repayments; - it is stated how monthly payments will be calculated.
                  2. Amount of repayments; - it is stated how monthly payments will be calculated.
                  3. Frequency and timing of repayments;- it is stated they are monthly.
                  4. Dates of repayments; it is stated they are monthly.
                  5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable.- states they have the right to vary APR at any time with 28 days notice.
                I feel like a lot that is required is in the agreement. The anomaly is the signing.
                There is also a clause that says by signing the agreement I will receive a next card for purchasing - does this mean anything if I have not signed the agreement?

Am i missing anything fundamental here or does this cover everything? Thanks in advance.
                a) Barring the missing signature it looks o.k.. Have they provided agreements with the Terms and Conditions 'varied', i.e, APR etc.

b) In April 2007 I believe you would have had to sign the agreement.

c) Have they stated anywhere that it's a 'reconstituted agreement'?, i.e. they populate a template with information from various bits of data they have.

Comment

a) Barring the missing signature it looks o.k.. Have they provided agreements with the Terms and Conditions 'varied', i.e, APR etc. It states that the 'APR under this agreement is 26.49% Variable'. It also confirms why it may vary and that they reserve the right to vary at any time with 28 days notice.

c) Have they stated anywhere that it's a 'reconstituted agreement'?, i.e. they populate a template with information from various bits of data they have. Yes it states it is a reconstituted agreement

Does this help?
                  Thanks, Ian.

Comment

a) Barring the missing signature it looks o.k.. Have they provided agreements with the Terms and Conditions 'varied', i.e, APR etc. It states that the 'APR under this agreement is 26.49% Variable'. It also confirms why it may vary and that they reserve the right to vary at any time with 28 days notice.

c) Have they stated anywhere that it's a 'reconstituted agreement'?, i.e. they populate a template with information from various bits of data they have. Yes it states it is a reconstituted agreement

Does this help?
                    Thanks, Ian.
                    a) Ref (a) 'Variation' means changes from when you opened the account, in 2007 to when the account was closed, so for example if the APR was 26.49% in 2007 when it was opened, then they also need to provide the APR (T's and C's) when the account was closed, for example 2018 it was 29.8%.

b) Ref (c) I believe they need to provide a 'True Copy' of the agreement, a 'reconstituted agreement' isn't compliant..

Comment

a) Ref (a) 'Variation' means changes from when you opened the account, in 2007 to when the account was closed, so for example if the APR was 26.49% in 2007 when it was opened, then they also need to provide the APR (T's and C's) when the account was closed, for example 2018 it was 29.8%.I don't believe i have this. I have a copy of the letter from when the account was closed and passed over to Lowell but it just refers to the outstanding balance. Do i need to chase for this?

b) Ref (c) I believe they need to provide a 'True Copy' of the agreement, a 'reconstituted agreement' isn't compliant.. Do i also need to chase for this and if so it is Overdale/Lowell/Next?

Comment

a) Ref (a) 'Variation' means changes from when you opened the account, in 2007 to when the account was closed, so for example if the APR was 26.49% in 2007 when it was opened, then they also need to provide the APR (T's and C's) when the account was closed, for example 2018 it was 29.8%.I don't believe i have this. I have a copy of the letter from when the account was closed and passed over to Lowell but it just refers to the outstanding balance. Do i need to chase for this?

b) Ref (c) I believe they need to provide a 'True Copy' of the agreement, a 'reconstituted agreement' isn't compliant.. Do i also need to chase for this and if so it is Overdale/Lowell/Next?
                        a) I don't believe i have this. I have a copy of the letter from when the account was closed and passed over to Lowell but it just refers to the outstanding balance. Do i need to chase for this?

You do have this, this is the Reconstituted Agreement they sent with Terms & Conditions, but if they 'varied' (changed) for example the APR then they should provide the latest 'varied' Terms & Conditions.

b) Do i also need to chase for this and if so it is Overdale/Lowell/Next?

No point chasing them, they've sent a reconstituted agreement.

Do you know when the account was opened? Exact date.

Comment

I have had another look through the documents and i can't see anything that says they have varied the APR or any other conditions.
                          The info they have provided states the account was opened on 17 April 2007
                          Last edited by ian_mac; 26th August 2023, 12:17:PM.

Comment

I have had another look through the documents and i can't see anything that says they have varied the APR or any other conditions.
                            The info they have provided states the account was opened on 17 April 2007
                            Look through all the documents e.g. statements sent, see if there are any other APR's other then 26.49%.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
                              Look through all the documents e.g. statements sent, see if there are any other APR's other then 26.49%.
                              I have been through everything they have sent to me - credit agreement, statement of account, default notice and SAR and there is no other mention of an APR apart from in the reconstituted credit agreement.
                              I do not have any old statements etc from 4 years ago to see if the APR changed from 26.49%?

Comment

Hi, is there any advice on next steps? I was granted an extension by Lowell until tomorrow so need to understand where i can go from here. Any help appreciated

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X