• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

General advice about County Court procedures..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General advice about County Court procedures..

Hi All. Will try to make this as simple as possible.

High Barnet council have issued me a fine for having stopped my car in a yellow box junction. They've rejected my appeal. I'm interested in understanding the process for enforcement with courts.

1) I understand before any debt can be referred into a court a letter or document must be issued to the defendant to known as a letter of claim. This will state that the claimant IS raising the matter with a court (not that they might). Is my understanding correct and can a case be thrown out of court if this is not done correctly?

2) Is there a minimum amount of money a county court will look into? (for reference, I'm expect the sum to be approximately £200-£250)

3) What is the approximate cost the court will charge the council for registering the debt and issuing a court order/CCJ?

4) If the debt is still unpaid after the CCJ, is it correct that the claimant must then go back to court again to apply for enforcement to send bailiffs to recover the debt?

5) If this is correct, how much does the court charge for this additional step?

6) I've read that if you pay the debt within 14 days of a CCJ being issued and you write to the court, they will remove any record of a CCJ for you. Is this correct?

If you could keep your motoring advice to yourself that would be great - I'm just extremely grateful for any info on court procedures and answers to the above.

Essentially what I'm trying to do is calculate the odds of High Barnet council enforcing the fine through the court vs writing it off. So if anyone has any inside information on what their internal write-off costs are, I'd happily buy you a pint also.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X