• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Major issues with builder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major issues with builder

Hello,

I'm desperately looking for some help and guidance, please. After meeting with about 10 builders for an out house building project, my husband and I chose one. We did as much research as possible on them, read all their reviews, checked social media, met with them three times before they started the job. We also signed the contract.

We paid for stage 1 of the work, which was completed in about two weeks. We then paid for stage two, but since that payment almost 11 weeks ago, there have only been to our property on three occasions totally 7 hours work. So stage 2 has barely started, and although this was meant to be a 6 week project, we're not in the 13th week. We have written to them frequently as well as having to spoken to them over the phone to voice our frustrations and concerns. We followed the guidance from Citizen's Advice and outlined that we either wanted to the job completed or the money back for stage 2. They agreed to the work, but haven't been here really since.

We are currently down £4,000 for stage 2, however they have left the materials which total approx £1,800. So i'm about £2,200 down at the moment.

Frustrated and fed up, we decided to look for another builder to finish the work. We've had a few round and they have all said the work from stage 1 isn't good enough. The builders haven't used the correct materials when building. They needed to use construction blocks as the first layer to avoid the risk of damp. I've now been told that the entire project will need to be ripped down and rebuilt. That would mean i'm down another £4,000 for stage one, in addition to having to pay another company to do the work.

We have thought about filing a small claims case but i've noticed that the owner of the company resigned and handed the business to his fellow colleague. Since then the previous owner has started a new company, with almost the same name, and at the same registered address. I'm now afraid of logging a claim and having to incur more costs if they decide to dissolve the company.

I'd appreciate any guidance as to what my next steps should be. Is legal action worthwhile in this case?

Thank you.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X