• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is There An Actionable Claim For Breach Of Privacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is There An Actionable Claim For Breach Of Privacy

Hello,

This is my first post after my introductory post.

We are in a dispute with neighbours that involves both civil and criminal law. We are the victims in the situation. Our neighbours are sociopathic.

The issue I wish to focus on here is breach of privacy.

We had a plumber round. My mother mentioned to this plumber in very general terms our issues with the neighbours, just to make conversation. The plumber recognised who we were talking about. The plumber happens to know these people very well. He has then gone to them and apparently told them an exaggerated story of my mother's interaction with him, in which we supposedly grossly insulted them, etc. He also apparently claimed to this neighbour that I had joined in with the insults of the neighbours, when I had only said 'Hello' to him. Of course, the neighbours may be exaggerating what they have been told, but that in itself is not the issue.

The issue I have with this is that the actions of the plumber seem unprofessional and, while my mother is culpable in that she made the disclosure to him by bringing up the topic, it seems to me that she was not expecting him to use it as material for gossip and go round telling third parties, especially the neighbours themselves.

I would therefore like to look at whether we can claim compensation from the plumber - and I assume he will carry business insurance. I appreciate that in the case of private businesses, there isn't necessarily such a thing as actionable breach of privacy per se, so the issue needs to be approached tangentially. So far I am looking at breach of confidence, harassment (on the assumption that this is part of the neighbours' scheme of conduct), perhaps a breach of implied duties or warranties under the SSGSA, and maybe breach of the DPA 2018/GDPR. But I am not sure.

Does anybody have thoughts on this?

At first glance, this may seem petty, so what I need to stress is that this is part of a larger set of quite serious issues we are facing that are inter-linked. The purpose of this thread is to focus on just this one question as I need to clarify in my mind what the law is, and once I know this, I can then decide whether a claim - or threat of a claim - is viable, proportionate and practicable.

Thanks,
    FS
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X