• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

LBA sent on removal company who did nothing I asked for and damaged 3 items

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LBA sent on removal company who did nothing I asked for and damaged 3 items

Back again just to ask what I do next. removals were supposed to collect all my furniture and boxes , store for a few days and on moving day just pick up 3 items as we had a small holding and priority was loading livestock on the trailers for an 80 mile trip
    I wanted the house clear as I needed to clean the properly and couldn't do it on the day.. Surveyor came round 2 months previous and said it would be fine

I was expecting a large lorry to collect the items to store but they arrived with a small van and they had to load that, disappear for 2 hours before loading again .

By 1.00 pm they said they wouldn't be back that day leaving most of the furniture in situ and still a large amount of boxes to collect. I emailed them and they said they'd be back moving day early to do the rest... this was not what I wanted and had to do the cleaning of the house when they finished leaving me no time to load livestock...

I actually had to leave the pigs behind and new owners said they'd feed them until the weekend when I could come and collect them at leisure

When we got to new property I told them to load boxes into garage when they arrived and to put furniture in the house as we couldn't lift it .. This didn't happen as they had loaded the vans incorrectly and had already started loading stuff in the garage along with furniture as it was getting dark and they wouldn't have time to get the rest of my furniture until next day

The following day it took them all day as again they only had one van and had to unload , go back to storage to load again and come back ..nightmare.

So that is the back story... we realised we would have to get a reputable removal company to help out the next day but on finding pieces buried in my garage we found an American Fridge freezer with a roughly 6 inch crease in the door. (under a year old with receipt) .. leather large metal action sofa bed torn as it was put on its end and a single divan that had several tears in the base... all photographed (Some pics aren't particularly good but I did offer them to come and inspect)

I sent a letter before action for breach of contract , the replacement value of the damaged items minus 20 percent for second hand replacement and 150.00 for breach of contract.

Now.. I have had a reply from them denying this and that my furniture had seen better days and had dog hair on them and an invoice for 500.00 for the extra time it took them to do the job with a threat of interest on a daily basis if I don't pay.

My question is ... do I send a reply to this email or just go through the small claims court process.. ? I have drafted an email as they say that they didn't damage them and were careful and my response was to be that if these items were damaged previous why didn't they note it down before removal so that any damage could not be laid at their door and that as they didn't have the vehicles to do the job properly it is not my fault they took so long .

What would be the next step ? I don't want to get into an email altercation when it is not necessary . I never signed at the end of the job that I was satisfied with everything
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X