• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I've received a defamatory review from a Karen on Google. What to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've received a defamatory review from a Karen on Google. What to do?

How do i push someone to remove a review? Knowing that i've not done anything wrong I tried politely contacting the lady (the kind way of referring to her), but she hung up and after calling back and claiming bad signal she has gone to ground (it seems). She left a review naming me, writing a totally skewed version of events with a few lies and then written "Absolute terrible customer service" at the end. Is there nothing i can do from a legal standpoint?

I actually came across this site trying to find out about defamation and small claims coursts through this thread (i saw on Google) https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...l-claims-court . It says you can't take someone to the small claims court for this ("unless they agree" to go through the smalls claims court track). It got me thinking though that i could file a £300 small claims court claim against her (for £30 cost to me) and then she will have to spend some time and resources to come to the realisation that she has to pay £275 for an n244 to set it aside (based on the fact she refuses to accept the claim through the small claims court). And then she might just take the review down (so that i close the claim), which would be £30 well spent on my side. As i am not a wealthy individual and i doubt she has much money, the best i can come up with. Any help would be appreciated?

I run sports clubs for kids. In 20 years of business i have had 40 five star reviews and zero one stars. I don't ask for reviews and those that are left are organic. The fact no one has ever left a bad one should be an indicator that i don't have a habit of being unfair to people. In fact fairness is something i pride myself on.

A savvy search online i was able to find her address (i only had her childs name and her name to work with!). I can also see that she is a housewife of a a small time DJ / Plumber and she has 1250 posts on instagram (as you do!). Google street maps show that there is a cone in her front garden!
    Last edited by Luke123; 23rd April 2024, 14:43:PM.
    Tags: None

People are wiser than you think and will ignore a review like this. Can you add a response? Forget court....

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
      People are wiser than you think and will ignore a review like this. Can you add a response? Forget court....
      Thank you. I would hope they would ignore it. I just think it might encourage more people to write bad reviews because they will feel validated by each other. I am always fair (as i said) but sometimes i am firm (as firm as you can be with "customers (who) are always right").

Writing a response you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Do i even give it the attention to respond?!
      And what do you write?... "We're sorry you feel that way... OR.... You frickin LIAR!!!!". ... Or both?

Comment

I have seen successful replies that tell the truth - this customer did this and this. But doing nothing may be the best way forward and let your past excellent reviews speak for themselves.

Comment

Luke - forget it. Life is too short. Concentrate on what you do well. The fact that you have umpteen good reviews and one poor one speaks volumes.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
            Luke - forget it. Life is too short. Concentrate on what you do well. The fact that you have umpteen good reviews and one poor one speaks volumes.
            Is there nothing i can try? I feel quite aggrieved that you mind your own business, are self denying and kind to those you meet... and then someone just comes attacks you because you didn't lay out the red carpet for them as much as they wanted. Or in this case, didn't make it as enjoyable as a night out in Ibiza. Probably

Comment

You will find working on your business more profitable and pleasurable than letting this eat you up.

Oh, and one of my best friends is called Karen. Can we please not import the ghastly American usage of that name.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Luke123 View Post

Is there nothing i can try? I feel quite aggrieved that you mind your own business, are self denying and kind to those you meet... and then someone just comes attacks you because you didn't lay out the red carpet for them as much as they wanted. Or in this case, didn't make it as enjoyable as a night out in Ibiza. Probably

You could consider approaching the platform, see what there take is on it after you provide your side, no doubt they will want to contact the other side.

But you have all the good reviews that will help your case. Platforms want reviews to be honest and not an opportunity to 'have a go'.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X