• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Latest Update on PPI Judicial Review - NO APPEAL - get your claims in......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Latest updates on PPI Judicial Review and claims on hold

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
    Such pessimism from, NLP!?
    I am already well aware, as many others are... of what is coming.

TBF i did not even need to be told, it was easily guessable.

Comment

What is coming then?

The Banks admitted in the JR that they will compensate ICOB/ICOBS breaches, it is the principles they are challenging!!!

If you have a complaint that breaches ICOB/ICOBS then it has to be redressed, irrespective of what judgement is passed. It is when the sales process has followed ICOB/ICOBS that it will become more difficult. And this is where the FSA were using Principles to get these redressed as well.

The FSA is well aware of whats gone on, selling techniques etc etc and this is why the PS was so strong against the Banks.

Comment

Anyone that thinks the JR is going down the same road as the bank charges case forget it the two case are not the same totally different and no the bank charges case cannot be used as a president.

If the BBA win this it just means that cases will be settled as before pre December handbook change.
        If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NLP View Post

All doom and gloom in your eyes then, NLP?

IMO, whatever the outcome of the JR is;
          PPI complainants will NOT give up, as there are other points of law that can be followed...

Many, many general consumers bought products that turned out to be faulty. These cconsumers have been badly let down and the products failed or, they were not able to claim due to ingeniously written limitation and exclsuion clauses.

Also, in many cases the PPI that failed has left these consumers in debt.
          Last edited by Angry Cat; 6th February 2011, 16:55:PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi,

what happens if BBA lose at this stage and are refused the right to appeal?

Thi is something I didnt get with the BC case, they were frefused leave to appeal to the HoL (as was) yet still did?

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
              Hi,

what happens if BBA lose at this stage and are refused the right to appeal?

Thi is something I didnt get with the BC case, they were frefused leave to appeal to the HoL (as was) yet still did?
              It's unlikely at this stage that they will be refused the right to appeal. After the appeal they might be refused leave to appeal to the Supreme Court but as we know by now, it would go there if they lost both the initial part and the appeal
              "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
              (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

My opinion is that the banks havent got a shot in hell of 'winning' the JR if there are winners and losers. I wouldnt worry about the JR, it seems like there i alot of pessimism surrounding the potentia effect of the resut. The fact is that the standard which the fos is applying is in line with ICOB/ICOBS.....which if you have looked are extremely broad guidelines. The banks have objected to the latest FSA publication in relaiton to how firms should handle PPI complaints, and because this was very similar to the FOS PPI guidance posted on the website, the banks have added the FOS into this. This is entirely different to bank charges, and my belief is that regardless of whether the banks are successful, PPI complaints will not stop or be substantially effected.

I would like to comment on the fact that the BBA hired linklaters to represent them. More money then sense....theyd rather pay lawyers then trodden on consumers.

Comment

Appeal.... Supreme.... 2 years.

That my friends is how they will win the war... not this battle (JR)

I fully understand how different the legal aspects of this case is with the Bank Charges.. but surely you are all aware by now it matters not what "technicality" they use.. its all about the magic thing nobody has invented to get back once lost...

TIME

Comment

I would like to comment on the fact that the BBA hired linklaters to represent them. More money then sense....theyd rather pay lawyers then trodden on consumers.

This is a very good point and one that I have stated before, had the banks acted fairly from the start instead of paying out on solicitors and barristers which must run into millions we would not be where we are now.

All in the name of paying out to keep a clean image sorry it does not cut with me they would of faired better if they just put there hands up and redressed consumers without all this show.

Indeed the way they are carrying on they are doing more damage to there image and losing the trust with the consumers.
                    Last edited by pompeyfaith; 6th February 2011, 16:07:PM.
                    If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

I fully understand how different the legal aspects of this case is with the Bank Charges.. but surely you are all aware by now it matters not what "technicality" they use.. its all about the magic thing nobody has invented to get back once lost...

TIME
                      However, statute of limitations would stop from October 2010 so that would allow 8 years worth of claiming since that is when they announced that they would start the JR. However, I suspect we could have s.32 of the Limitations Act coming in again. Furthermore, the FOS are further behind on PPI claims so that 6 year limit could be extended anything up to 12 months ie October 2009 for some cases that were taking more than 12 months to resolve.
                      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

TIME
                        In my view this is just nonsense and the type of uninformed scaremongering that shouldn't be given any room to breath on a thread that so far has promoted responsible and informed debate.

Their are 2 types of applications for Judicial Review - regular and 'for urgent consideration' - and this one is for 'urgent consideration' which means it and any appeal would effectively be fast tracked. This was reflected in the court Order of 21 October that noted that the case required a ''rapid determination''.

So in my view, comparisons with the length of the test case (2 years and 4 months from start to finish) don't stand up. So far things are already happening twice as quickly. The first test case hearing took 6 months to schedule (from the point proceedings were filed to the hearing itself) whereas the Judicial Review will have taken just three.

If it continues to take half the time that the test case did the JR will be done & dusted by the end of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                          In my view this is just nonsense and the type of uninformed scaremongering that shouldn't be given any room to breath on a thread that so far has promoted responsible and informed debate.
                          Absolutely, Agree!

Comment

And in that 'done and dusted time' my house will have been repo'd as I wait for the near on £20k that HSBC screwed from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cat View Post
                              IMO, MBNA were one of the most difficult to deal with re: PPI!

Not forgetting Capone and Egg, of course...
                              I found MBNA a pushover on two occasions, but Egg difficult!
                              Thanks!

Debtisbad

Comment

Originally posted by debtisbad View Post
                                I found MBNA a pushover on two occasions, but Egg difficult!
                                i agree i,ve had a return on an old loan which i got a return on even though mbna had already rebated the loan, now doing a credit card and mbna dragging there feet and still waiting on a reply,hoping this is a good sign
                                ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                                Originally posted by mids View Post
                                And in that 'done and dusted time' my house will have been repo'd as I wait for the near on £20k that HSBC screwed from me.
                                sorry to hear that mids the banks only trade in misery.
                                Last edited by cappo; 6th February 2011, 18:49:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X