• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Financial UK Ltd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cabot Financial UK Ltd

Originally posted by R0b View Post
    So, lets assume you go to court and argue the incorrect entry, the main point of your argument being ... due to the incorrect entry the agreement should not be enforced against the debtor due to a misreprentation, making the agreement voidable at the discretion of the debtor? Debtor wishes the agreement to be unenforceable and void.

Cabot's defence being ... Mr judge, CF Marlin has had a change of name reflected in CH and it is incorrect insofar as the entry on the credit report hasn't been updated to reflect the new name change. We are exempt to have a licence (under debate) as we instruct an authorised firm to exercise our rights of recovering the debt. The debtor still owes the money to the creditor and there would be no difference in the debtors position if the entry of the company name was changed or not. Yes there has technically been a breach of DPA under principle 4 but this is a minor breach to which the ICO has the power correct the matter or in extreme cases fine company if it so wishes. But Mr judge should not make a ruling that agreement is unenforceable. This would be unjust.

Judge orders:

1. entry to be corrected in credit report.
    2. Agreement still enforceable
    3. nominal damages (maybe if your lucky)

that's how I'd see it panning out but of course judges are wierd and wonderful and the outcome may be different on the day.
    Thanks for playing devils advocate Rob I do really appreciate it.............I believe that the claim could also be brought under section 140 of the CCA to "open the door" to also bring in the Misrepresentation Act.
    In this case who is the creditor when the debt was assigned by the original creditor? Marlin Financial Services LIMITED are claiming to be the creditor.
    The ICO has no power to correct data supplied to CRA's it can recommend/advise it to be corrected.
    Sparkie

Comment

The ICO has no power to correct data supplied to CRA's it can recommend/advise it to be corrected.
      Debatable, they do have powers by way of enforcement notices failure to comply with that can result in a fine.

@Sparkie1723 I haven't forgotten about this but will take some time to digest. In the meantime I'm not sure if you have come across the Supreme Court case of Plevin v Paragon Personal Finance Ltd - guidance on unfair relationship (s.140) and the lords stated that the very minimum creditors should be doing to ensure a fair relationship is comply with the Consumer Credit Sourcebook (CONC).

I referenced somewhere a couple of paragraphs in the CONC relating to providing evidence if dispute and notification of assignment in a prompt manner. Under s.140 the court likes at the whole range of issues and isn't restricted when it comes to finding whether a relationship was unfair, unlike the UTCCR.
      Last edited by R0b; 30th October 2015, 15:54:PM.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I've been to my hearing very recently as a defendant and Cabot Financial UK Ltd as the Claimant for about £7500 claim.

I rose the point that Cabot Financial UK Ltd's license had lapsed before making this claim and under the CCA s40 an agreement can not be enforced by an unlicensed entity. The judge asked the Claimant's representative for explanation. He said that he has been informed that Cabot Financial UK Ltd as being part of the Cabot/Marlin are allowed to use license of their sister/parent company. I told the judge there is a judgement which prevents them from doing so. I had read about Hicks v Walker and Reynolds in this thread.

The judge said to Claimant's representative that this is possibly a fundamental error in the claim.

A 2nd hearing will be held in 3-4 weeks. I been asked to submit the judgment (Hicks v Walker and Reynolds) and the the Claimant has been asked to provide evidence to prove their compliance with the license using a proxy.

Can some one guide how I can obtain a copy of Hicks v Walker and Reynolds and/or any similar case.

Comment

This? http://legalbeagles.info/hicks-v-wal...1999-gccr-721/

- - - Updated - - -
          [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION]

Comment

Interesting, was their representative legally qualified? obviously CB UK cannot "use" their licence per se but as our discussions on this thread have encountered it may be possible to be exempt provided by using an authorised third party to exercise their rights.

Even if CB UK lose this case in question, I think it would be naive of them not to appeal it and get an authoritative ruling on whether they can or cannot be exempt under the FSMA.

Do you have any counter argument to this argument asifh?

Also, just read the case of Hicks v Walker & Reynolds. I suppose this could be distinguished to an extent given that it related to credit-brokerage rather than simple exercising one's rights as a creditor.
            Last edited by R0b; 2nd November 2015, 22:07:PM. Reason: Additional info
            If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER
            Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Quick message for Nem,

Not gone quiet on this at all, there is an appeal before a High Court judge which will deal with these issues, until the matter is resolved the rest is speculation.

Sadly i am more limited than ever due to recent news in my private life which has had to come first for a change.

So there we go

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting, was their representative legally qualified? obviously CB UK cannot "use" their licence per se but as our discussions on this thread have encountered it may be possible to be exempt provided by using an authorised third party to exercise their rights.

Even if CB UK lose this case in question, I think it would be naive of them not to appeal it and get an authoritative ruling on whether they can or cannot be exempt under the FSMA.

Do you have any counter argument to this argument asifh?

Also, just read the case of Hicks v Walker & Reynolds. I suppose this could be distinguished to an extent given that it related to credit-brokerage rather than simple exercising one's rights as a creditor.
              One can always distinguish a case if you look hard enough. The commentary in Goodes law report though makes it clear that the scheme being used in Walker & Reynolds was merely designed to avoid the licensing regime within the CCA and therefore should not be allowed. In my view this is right, the purpose of the regime was to ensure consumers were protected from unlicensed traders.

I cannot see that Cabot can be allowed to avoid being authorised in the way being suggested, this doesnt seem to accord with the advice from counsel who advised the FCA themselves on their licensing structure, but as i say there will be a judicial decision on this soon enough.
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Of course I agree with you, there can always be two sides to an argument and I agree with you on Cabot's position, whilst the specific exemption under the Act may have been intended for a specific use, it does not specifically state that the exemption applies only for specific purposes i.e. article 55 provides exemptions strictly for special purpose vehicles, which I believe was the FCA's intentions. Theoretically, Cabot would be appear to be acting in accordance with article 55 and as you say, it would be up to the court to decide whether or not they are trying to circumvent FCA authorisation.

Also bearing in mind that case was made under the CCA however since the FCA has different rules and regulations and repealed the majority of the CCA in relation to conducting such activities, the outcome may be different.

At what point are we to expect a decision on this high court appeal?

Might it be wise for asifh to point this out to the court and adjourn proceedings until such decision has been made?

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

At what point are we to expect a decision on this high court appeal?

Might it be wise for asifh to point this out to the court and adjourn proceedings until such decision has been made?
                  Any further details will be very helpful.

This is my first time in court and this site has been extremely helpful.

Comment

if [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] is able to supply details, I would be inclined to point this out to the court and ask for a stay on proceedings until such case has been concluded.

You said a hearing in 3-4 weeks, have you received an order from the court yet?
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

if @pt2537 is able to supply details, I would be inclined to point this out to the court and ask for a stay on proceedings until such case has been concluded.

Not as of yet. The judge made a verbal order to submit witness statement with mention of judgement (Hicks v Walker and Reynolds) by 23rd Nov 2015. I am not sure about the next hearing date, but I expact it around 14 days from 23/11/15.

Comment

if @pt2537 is able to supply details, I would be inclined to point this out to the court and ask for a stay on proceedings until such case has been concluded.

Received a copy of 'notice of Discontinuance' from Claimant's solicitors today.

Thanks all.

Comment

[QUOTE=asifsh;592244]Received a copy of 'notice of Discontinuance' from Claimant's solicitors today.

Thanks all.[/QUOTE

Well Done

Comment

Originally posted by asifsh View Post

Thanks all.
                            That's good all over now!!

nem

Comment

Originally posted by asifsh View Post

Thanks all.
                              Didn't fancy a hearing on whether they were breaking the law or not then !

M1

Comment

Glad to hear
                                LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X