• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

You can't ignore parking fines, can you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: You can't ignore parking fines, can you?

I think diverse opinions are essential but if a poster is outnumbered on a thread it can come across as bullying :director:

I didn't even know there was an "ignore" button and I don't personally see the need because that would be a form of (self) censorship :censored: I wouldn't want to live in a bubble where I thought only my views were right or valid. Heaven forbid !

Comment

Right, so that's what I'm doing by putting one joker on ignore?

Comment

Originally posted by GO84 View Post
        Right, so that's what I'm doing by putting one joker on ignore?
        I think you're quite right to do what works best for you. But I do feel branding a person as a "pikey" in public may be seen as a tad racist these days and could invite trouble. It seems this was because of his accent and you couldn't understand what he was saying - I'm a bit like that when I listen to Stephen Hawking.

:focus:

As for parking tickets I challenge everyone I get because I see them as a money-spinning exercise and nothing to do with parking in the wrong place at the wrong time. But then I was born before yellow lines and the Denver Boot were invented and we all managed fine without them. If this guy has got a method that works (some of the time even if not all of the time) then I for one would give it a go. I don't believe in homeopathy but it works for some people so it's not for me to condemn it.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
          I think diverse opinions are essential but if a poster is outnumbered on a thread it can come across as bullying :director:
          I agree with you and on forums we do see pack mentality at times to be honest.
          I didn't even know there was an "ignore" button and I don't personally see the need because that would be a form of (self) censorship :censored: I wouldn't want to live in a bubble where I thought only my views were right or valid. Heaven forbid !
          I was aware of the ignore button from someone else and I did use it simply because the person concerned was continuing for a lengthy period of time to jibe at things from a previous employment long since over. The consequence of that issue is that when a person who you have on ignore wants help and you might be invaluable on that part, you simply never get to respond to them because you are unaware of their issue.

To Go: there is a swear filter on the forum, to attempt to get around that swear filter is a breach of site rules. There are other words to say what you want to say such as idiot, clown, wally etc etc although that might be a breach of the site rules. I have tried a few times over the last few months to stretch an insult to see whether or not it breaches site rules. It didn't but I am sure there will be more threads where I can test that theory out
          "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
          (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

To PlanB: "Pikey" is really racist? Oh dear. Like the people who say it don't distinguish between ordinary people with certain ethnic heritage and people in the "traveller" group. Guy Ritchie made a film where that word was used over and over again, but most people didn't have a problem with it. And as for his accent, I understand every single word, but I won't deny that I think it sounds funny (like he says "abaat" instead of "about") And about parking tickets, OK you believe they're a money spinning exercise (after all, many say that about speeding fines) but when you challenge them, do you usually feel you have some grounds for doing so, or do you still do it even when you've blatantly violated the terms (eg. overstayed by a good length of time) And what do you usually do?

Comment

To be fair the OP was on a looser trying to discredit "You tube bloke" anyway.

He was giving a bailiff a hard time, anyone who does that for whatever reason gets the thumbs up from most of us on here.

Comment

Try looking at his other videos. And I'm sure plenty of baliffs have been horrible in the past, but that particular one in that video seemed quite reasonable and was just doing his job and wasn't really a t**t. The bit where 61shirley says "Have you proven who I am yet?" (just watch the video) is where he starts being a bit of an idiot (61shirley not the baliff)
                Last edited by GO84; 21st April 2013, 12:28:PM.

Comment

It's all about interpretation. To me a pikey is not a traveller but someone with particular characteristics. It would be a dull world if we all spoke with the same accent , if we were all posh or we couldn't argue about the pronunciation of scone.

To me an oatcake is one of those things you get in Staffordshire like a pancake, not the hard biscuit type thing you buy in the supermarkets. Having lived in the areas I have , the accent of the guy on youtube was broad but quite understandable . I think he ideas a bit off the wall but if they work for him that's fine.

Go, I think that something that may have antagonised people was your insistence qualifications were quoted . Being qualified does not make you automatically any more or less right . In fact in medicine it is accepted by good doctors that people with long term conditions may well know more about that condition than one of the professionals.

Comment

Well, naturally I'm going to listen to what real lawyer or at least a law graduate says over someone like him (who I would bet my bottom dollar is neither) But it didn't mean I expected everyone here to be, I just hoped some might be.

Comment

I have no wish to look at his other videos, I have nothing against the chap. If you want to start a thread entitled, "lets all slag off the You tube bloke" I dare say some may contribute, but not me.

As for bailiffs, no one makes them chose their profession, they do that themselves, to me that tells me all I need to know about how "reasonable" they are.

Comment

I meant his behaviour was reasonable, FFS.

Comment

I meant his behaviour was reasonable, FFS.
                          I know what you meant

Comment

I feel similar about bouncers, it doesn't mean I think all of them are morons and their job has no reason to exist or I'll start fighting them if they try to throw me out of somewhere for getting too drunk. Similarly that guy has a baliff on his doorstep because he's gotten fines he's refusing to pay. I've never had baliffs on my doorstep because I try not to get parking fines and when I have, as on a couple of occasions in the past (from the council) I've quickly paid up. And I've never been arrested.
                            Last edited by GO84; 21st April 2013, 13:02:PM.

Comment

I feel similar about bouncers, it doesn't mean I think all of them are morons and they is no they should exist or I'll start fighting them if they try to throw me out of somewhere for getting too drunk. Similarly that guy has a baliff on his doorstep because he's gotten fines he's refusing to pay.
                              Then we must agree to differ, wheres I agree that they are not all "morons", they are IMO an anachronism and do not have any place in a modern day society

Comment

So what's the alternative?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X