• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting, do I pay the fine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it’s that much I’ll just pay for my mail to be redirected and deal with the threats, it’s scary stuff and the thought of debt collectors or anything is terrifying to me, it was a simple moment of madness which I totally and utterly regret just want to get it over with

Comment

If it’s that much I’ll just pay for my mail to be redirected and deal with the threats, it’s scary stuff and the thought of debt collectors or anything is terrifying to me, it was a simple moment of madness which I totally and utterly regret just want to get it over with

Comment

Comment

That is how they operate: scare tactics to prey on their victims, to pressurise people into paying.
          In the UK we have legal systems to enable recovery of rightly owed debts and charges.
          Because they failed to make recovery through the courts when they applied, they have resorted to their own brand of justice.
          They act as vigilantes, and I am pleased to hear you now intend to ignore them

Comment

Does anyone know what the envelopes look like that come through the door? Whether they have the RLP logo on or if they’re plain?

Comment

So it looks like those letters are having the desired effect: you are running scared and were even thinking of paying

Comment

Yes of course, like I said I’ve never been in trouble before and so one sign of trouble scares me, I still do not totally understand completely due to me understanding that I did attempt to shoplift and therefore I am in the wrong, and that the fine is a punishment, and I just don’t want my parents finding out

Comment

The "fine" is not a fine.
                  It is an attempt to extort money from you.
                  Fines in the UK are only imposed by the courts
                  If punishment is necessary it is imposed by the courts, not a private company acting as judge, jury and executioner.
                  Stop beating yourself up over one very minor mistake.

Last time I saw one of those envelopes it had a small discrete RLP logo

Comment

So just so I’m clear, the RLP has no legal power over what I’ve done? And if I don’t pay the fine they won’t get in contact with Superdrug and Superdrug won’t take me to court or anything? And also is there anyway they would find my telephone number? Sorry for so many questions I’m just trying to get my head around this

Comment

RLP can do nothing.
                      Superdrug will not take you to court, if only because it would cost them more than they could ever recover
                      ,,,. and why would they want your telephone number?

Stop overthinking the situation and scaring yourself silly.
                      NOTHING WILL HAPPEN

Comment

Sorry just a couple of other forums have mentioned they’ve found their phone numbers and chased the money over the phone, I think I’ll do as you say and ignore the letters, then redirect my mail while this plays out and I’m away at university, am I okay so post on this forum again when the letters start coming through? I just know I’ll get stressed again

Comment

Of course you're welcome to post up anytime.
                          IF they ever phone, just hang up and block their number

Comment

Sorry to bother again just reading and recognised that most say that the goods were in a resellable condition and therefore they can’t claim, one of the items I attempted to take, the box was ripped and the barcode unscannable I think, does this change where I stand regarding the “fine”?

Comment

It's still not a fine....if anything was going to be done it would have been when you got caught. It didn't so you won't hear anything else. As has been said, RLP can't take anything from you as they are not part of the legal system that can give out fines and punishments. I would suggest using this site only as the internet is full of people who know everything about nothing and if you keep searching you will find so many different wrong answers that it will make you worry more.

Listen to the advice that's in this thread, any questions you have will have the same advice, ignore them.......

Did you look up the Oxford Case and RLP.......

Comment

Oxford RLP case judgment and transcripts

https://legalbeagles.info/forums/for...h-and-the-lies
                                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X